Change Your Life With An Australian Work Visa:
As one of the world’s most dynamic countries, Australia has an immense requirement for skilled talent. Make the most of this opportunity by applying for an Australian Work Visa. Having years of experience in Australian immigration processes, Y-Axis is the perfect consultant to launch your career in Australia.
Why Work In Australia?
- Stable economy growing at 2.5% every year on average
- Job opportunities in multiple sectors
- High minimum wage & great savings opportunity
- Exceptional social benefits like free healthcare
- Beautiful cities with vibrant multicultural life
When you work in Australia, you will enjoy basic rights and the same workplace protection rule as other local employees. All of this makes Australia an attractive destination to make a career.
Types of work visas:
The Australian government devised the General Skilled Migration program (Skillselect) in 2013 to replace the Australia skilled worker visas.
The Skillselect is designed to assess the skills of applicants under a point-based system so that immigrants with the right skills can be selected. The applicants are given points under the following criteria:
Age: Those between the ages of 25 and 32 score the most points while those above 45 do not gain any points.
English language proficiency: Applicants are required to take the IELTS test. If they score 8 bands or more, you get 20 points.
Skilled employment: If you have experience in an occupation that is listed in the Skilled Occupations List you will get points based on the years of experience. 20 is the maximum points you can gain.
Educational qualification: To get points under this category, your qualification must be related to your nominated occupation. 20 points is the maximum you can score if you have a doctorate while a bachelor’s or master’s degree will give you 15 points.
Australian qualifications: You can get five points if you have an Australian qualification from an Australian educational institute.
Regional study: You can gain an additional 5 points if you have lived and studied in regional Australia.
Community language skills: You will gain another 5 points if you have translator/ interpreter level skills in one of the country’s communities languages.
Spouse/partner skills and qualifications: If you have included your spouse/partner in the application and he/she is not an Australian resident/citizen, then their skills are eligible to be counted towards your total points. You will gain an additional five points if your spouse/partner must meet the basic requirements of the Australian General Skilled Migration
Professional year: You will stand to gain another 5 points if you have completed a Professional Year in Australia for a period of at least 12 months in the last four years from either ACS/CPA/CAANZ/IPA/Engineers Australia. You must score a minimum of 65 points to qualify for a visa under the General Skilled Migrant Program
Skilled Independent Visa: You can be eligible for this visa if you have the necessary skills and qualifications for specific occupations that are listed in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This visa does not require the sponsorship of an employer. You can use the SkillSelect tool to find out if your skills are in demand.
Employer Nomination Scheme: Under this scheme, a permanent work visa is given to workers sponsored by their companies.
TSS Visa (Temporary Skill Shortage): Under this visa, individuals can work between two to four years depending on the employee’s requirement. Applicants should have a minimum of two years’ work experience and should be below 45 years. Companies taking employees on this visa must pay them the market salary.
Permanent work visa options
- Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa – with this visa skilled workers nominated by their employer to live and work in the country permanently.
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa – Under this visa, skilled workers nominated by their employer in regional Australia to live and work in the country permanently.
- Skilled independent visa –This visa is for invited workers and New Zealand citizens with skills Australia needs to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia
- Skilled Nominated visa –With this visa, nominated skilled workers can live and work in Australia as permanent residents.
- Distinguished Talent visa- This is a permanent visa for individuals with a globally recognized record of exceptional achievement in a profession, sport, the arts, or academics and research.
Temporary work visa options
1.TSS visa (Temporary Skill Shortage): Individuals can work between two to four years under this visa, depending on the requirement of the employee. To obtain this visa, Australian businesses would have to show they are facing a shortage of local talent for the job. Applicants should have previous work experience of at least two years and should be under 45 years.
2.Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa –This is a temporary visa for skilled workers who want to live and work in regional Australia.
3.Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa – This visa is for short-term, highly-specialized work in the country.
4.Working holiday visa: This visa is available to people in the 18-30 age group to enable them to take up short-term jobs in Australia while on a holiday. The validity period is twelve months.
Skill assessment is integral to the work visa application process. One must select an occupation which is listed in the Australia’s Occupational Demand List. This list will mention occupations that face a skill shortage in the country. Every occupation in the list has its own skill assessing authority. The ACS (Australian Computer Society) assesses occupations under IT and computers. Trade occupations are assessed by the TRA (Trade Recognition Australia) or the VETASSESS (Vocational Educational and Training Assessment Services).
If an applicant must move to the next stage of the visa application process, he must get a positive skill assessment.
To get their skill assessment done candidates must meet the required conditions outlined by the assessing authority which is evaluating their occupation. The candidate should have the related qualifications and experience to get a positive assessment.
The first requirement for a positive skill assessment is that your occupation must be related to your work experience. If there is a mismatch, then you will not get the required points.
Apart from this you must submit all the required documents. They must be authentic and complete and any small discrepancy in your documents can lead to a negative assessment. You will have to submit every additional detail requested by the assessing authority. The documents should support your qualifications and experience claims.
Factors considered by the assessing authority:
- Occupation in which you nominated yourself
- Your qualifications
- Your work experiences
- Relevance of your work to your occupation
- Visa category under which you are applying
Apart from this, proof of undergoing a language assessment test such as IELTS or PTE is required by the skill assessment bodies.
Australia Work Permit Visa Process:
Steps to apply for a work visa:
- Determine the category of work visa you are eligible for
- Ensure that you satisfy the requirements of the points-based assessment (Skillselect)
- Make sure your employer completes an online nomination/sponsorship form before you can apply for the visa
- Fill the online application form of the visa category
- Submit the relevant information and supplementary documents along with your application.
- Pay your application fee for processing your visa
Y-Axis has extensive experience with helping individuals secure an Australian Work Visa. The key documents necessary to apply for this visa include:
- Evidence of English proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL)
- Provide educational and employment documentation
- Health insurance
Typically, the work visa takes 2-5 months to be processed. A Y-Axis Work Visa Expert will help you with the visa application processing and work with you to create a thorough and comprehensive visa application to increase your chances of success. Once your visa is processed you can travel to Australia for work.
The visa fees change from time to time. The cost of your visa is dependent on the date we receive your application. If there is a price increase between the date you lodge your application and the date the immigration department receives your application, you will need to pay the new application charge. You must ensure that you have the available funds to cover the surcharges.
Visa application charges are usually in Australian dollars (AUD) which must be paid with the visa application. However, in some cases, there are no visa application charges.
Type of applicant
Fee Effective from 1st July 22
Current Visa fee
Applicant above 18 yrs
Applicant below 18 yrs
Applicant above 18 yrs
Applicant below 18 yrs
Applicant above 18 yrs
Applicant below 18 yrs
COVID-19: Are SkillSelect draws being held?
SkillSelect draws continue to be held. Latest draw was held on March 13 in which total 2,050 invitations were sent – Skilled Independent visa [subclass 189]: 1,750; and Skilled Work Regional [Provisional] visa [subclass 491] – Family Sponsored: 300.
COVID-19: What if my visa has already expired?
If your visa has expired within the previous 28 days, you will have to apply for a Bridging Visa E [BVE] at once in order to remain lawful in Australia. With a BVE temporary visa, you can remain lawful while you make arrangements to leave.
For staying lawfully in Australia, you will have to apply for a new visa.
COVID-19: I have been laid off. What do I do now?
If you have been laid off and are not employed at the moment, you should find another employer within 60 days. Arrangements to leave Australia must be made, wherever possible, if you can’t find a new employer.
COVID-19: I have been stood down by my employer. Will it affect my visa?
Those stood down and with Temporary Skills Shortage visa [subclass 482] or Temporary Work [Skilled] visa [subclass 457] will maintain their visa validity. Businesses can extend their visas as per normal arrangements. Work hours can also be reduced without the visa holder being in breach of visa conditions.
How long can you stay in Australia on a Working Visa?
You can stay in Australia for 12 months to 4 years depending on the category of your Work Visa. If it is under the RSMS or ENS, you can stay indefinitely as long as you remain sponsored under these schemes.
What are the requirements to work in Australia?
The requirements to work in Australia through the Skilled Visa are:
- You must be below 45 years when you apply
- You must possess adequate ability in the English language for working in Australia, minimum a competent level
- Your nominated skilled occupation suiting your qualifications and skills must be found on the SOL
- Your skills must be assessed by the assessing authority in Australia designated to assess your nominated occupation before you apply
- You must have reasonably good health and get your health assessed by a panel doctor by undergoing a medical examination
- You must have good character and this also will be assessed
• You must pass the Points test with a minimum of 65 points
How much IELTS score is required by Nurses for Australia?
In case of Nurses the IELTS (academic module) with a minimum overall score of 7 and a minimum score of 7 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking) to apply for registration as an enrolled nurse. Applicants can also undergo OET, TOEFL or PTE (Academic) English tests.
How can I get Work Permit for Australia from India?
The process for applying for Australia Work Visa from India is as follows:
- Obtain the required bands’ score in IELTS
- Obtain skills assessment results from an appropriate authority
- Select a suitable occupation for nominating from relevant Skilled Occupation List of Australia
- Obtain the essential sponsorship/nomination if you are applying for a Sponsored Visa
- You must apply for suitable skilled Visa for Australia PR, i.e. Subclass 190, 189, etc. Applicants can also apply for 491 subclass Regional Provisional Visa.
- Score at least 65 points according to the Australian points-based system, nevertheless, higher your score, higher your chances of obtaining PR Visa
- If you receive the invitation to apply for a Visa, then you must apply within 60 days
- Obtain the essential character and health certifications
Is IELTS mandatory for Australian Work Visa?
IELTS is the key language test whose score is considered as evidence of your proficiency in the English language. This is if you are immigrating to Australia from India or from another nation. You must have good IELTS score as English is the primary language of Australia.
Alternatively, applicants have an option of taking up PTE (Academic) or TOEFL or OET or CAE English Tests as well as per the requirements of the respective authorities under skilled migration.
How long does it take to get a Work Visa for Australia?
The Australia Work Visa processing times will again depend on the category of Visa that you have applied. It will also depend on other factors that include:
- The time that is taken for verification of your details
- Any additional clarification/requirement sought by the authorities
Nevertheless, it will usually take around 6 to 12 months for processing your Work Visa.
How can I apply for a work Visa to Australia?
To work and live in Australia, you would be required to apply for any one of the below categories.
- Skilled Migration Visa – This is a type of Visa that is issued to foreign skilled workers who have the desired skills needed by the Australian labour market.
- Nominated/Sponsored Work Visa – This Visa is issued to those individuals who are nominated or sponsored by either a recognised Australian employer, A government agency of a state or territory, or A territory or state authority.
Working in Australia depends on the type of Visa you are applying for. However, there are certain general requirements that are given below.
- A good score in IELTS test as a proof of your English language strength
- The skilled Occupation List SOL must have your nominated occupation listed on it
- You must possess the experience and skill required for the job you are applying for
- A recognized Australian Assessing Authority should assess your skills
- Character and Health requirements should be met
Basically, you should meet all the criteria required by the type of Visa you are applying
If you are applying for an Australian work Visa, it is advised that you take the help of an Australian Immigration Specialist.
The different types of Australian Work Visas are below.
- Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)
- Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)
- Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
- Skilled Region or Relative Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)
- Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 124)
- Business Talent (Permanent) visa (subclass 132)
- Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188)
- Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400)
- Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401)
- Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403)
- Special Program visa (subclass 416) for the Seasonal Worker Program
- Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)
- Temporary Work (Entertainment) visa (subclass 420)
- Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
- New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)
- Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)
- Skilled—Recognized Graduate visa (subclass 476)
- Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
- Super yacht Crew visa (subclass 488)
- Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 858)
- Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887)
- Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888)
- Business Owner visa (subclass 890)
- Investor visa (subclass 891)
- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner visa (subclass 892)
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor visa (subclass 893)
- Maritime Crew visa (subclass 988)
What is the Subclass 408 visa?
It is a temporary visa that allows individuals to work and stay in Australia for up to two years.
Who is eligible for the Subclass 408 visa?
Temporary Work visa holders including working holiday makers employed in critical sectors who have not completed the 3 or 6 months of specified work needed to apply for a second or third Working Holiday Maker visa and who are unable to leave Australia may be eligible for a Temporary Activity (AGEE) visa.
Foreign nationals in Australia with the Seasonal Worker System whose visas are expiring will be able to prolong their stay by applying for a Temporary Operation (subclass 408 AGEE) visa.
Holders of other temporary work visas / TSS 482 visa/457 visas currently working in important sectors are also eligible for the Subclass 408 visa.
What are the main requirements for the visa?
The main requirements of this visa are:
- Person should be physically present in Australia
- Person will assist with addressing workforce shortages in areas such as agriculture, public health and care for the aged
- Person is unable to depart because of the COVID-19 pandemic
The visa does not need an endorsement or sponsorship.
What type of visa do you need to work in Australia?
There are a variety of work visa alternatives available, some of which can lead to permanent residency and others which are only temporary and allow you to stay in the nation for a short period of time
What is the cost of an Australian work visa?
The cost of a visa varies from time to time. If the price of your application increases between the time you submit it and when it is received by the immigration department, you must pay the new application fee. You must make sure you have enough money to meet the surcharges.
The fees for visa applications are normally in Australian dollars (AUD), and they must be paid together with the application. In some circumstances, however, there are no visa application fees
What is the processing time for work visas?
The processing time will vary based on the visa you are applying for. The processing time will include the time taken to verify your details and to provide an additional detail requested by the authorities. The average time can vary between 6 to 12 months to process your visa.
Is PTE compulsory to work in Australia?
PTE is one of the English proficiency test which is most accepted forms to work or migrate Australia. A minimum of 65 points is required. Having high PTE score helps you the best in getting the Australia PR.
Can I move to Australia without a job?
Yes, you can move to Australia without job. Skill Independent Visa Subclass 189 visa is designed for the candidates who do not have a prior job offer. If you are applying under this visa subclass, then you don’t need a job offer or a nomination/sponsorship from any Australian employer or territory.
Is there an age limit to move to Australia?
Permanent skill based visas to Australia generally have an age limit of 44. Once you turn 45 many of your permanent visa options finish. There are some very limited circumstances where permanent residence may be an option.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.