Accelerate Your Career With An Australian Education
Australia is one of the best destinations for students looking to pursue an education abroad. Not only does it boast of 8 universities in the top 100 universities in the world, but it also offers an amazing learning environment.
Looking to study in Australia? Y-Axis can help you create an Australian Student Visa application package that has the highest chances of success. Our expertise in Australian immigration processes means that we are best positioned to help you navigate its tricky procedures. Y-Axis helps students identify the right course and college in Australia that can set them on the path to a successful career.
Why Study In Australia?
International students have a wide variety of choices when it comes to studying in Australia. Its quality of education, a variety of courses to choose from, and post-study work opportunities make it one of the most desirable destinations among Indian students. Australian universities are strong in research, excelling in areas such as arts and humanities, education, and sciences.
- A renowned destination for students from India
- Globally accredited qualifications
- Rights for overseas students
- Linguistic diversity
- Monetary aid from the Government
- Steadily growing economy offering good job prospects
- A degree that is valued across the world
- Amazing Climate & Outdoor Lifestyle
Australia has some of the world’s best-ranked universities. According to the QS World University Ranking report for 2020, the country has eight of the country’s 300 top-ranking universities in the world.
The country offers a wide range of courses in a variety of subjects. The tuition fees here are affordable compared to the UK and the US. Students in Australian universities are eligible for a post-study work permit valid for up to four years. This can act as a pathway to permanent residency in Australia.
Australian universities are known for their high standards and quality of instruction. Their degrees are recognized all over the world. Another advantage of studying in Australia is the low cost of living compared to other countries. Students can work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) when they are studying which will help them meet part of the tuition fees. They also have access to scholarships which can lower their costs of doing a course.
Many students opt to study in Australia because its growing economy promises good job opportunities once students complete their course.
Australia Study visa
Compared to other countries, it is easier to get a student visa for Australia. Students wanting to study in Australia must meet certain requirements to qualify for a visa. Once you are enrolled in a full-time study course you can apply for a visa under Subclass 500.
With the Student visa (Subclass 500) visa, the visa holder can:
- Enroll in a course participate in an eligible course of study
- Bring family members to Australia
- Apply for the visa online in or outside Australia
- Travel to and from the country
- Work for up to 40 hours every two weeks once your course starts
The duration of the via is for five years, you can apply for an extension.
Before you submit your visa application ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements. The processing time for your visa is usually four weeks. You can apply for the visa 124 days before the start of your course and you can travel to the country 90 days before the commencement of your course.
If you have any dependents, they can apply for the same Subclass 500 visa. Even if they may not come with you immediately, you must declare your dependents in your visa application. Otherwise, they may not be eligible for a dependent visa later.
Application Steps for Subclass 500 Visa:
Step 1: Before you even submit your application, you must first gather the required documents.
Step 2: The documents you must submit are proof of your identity, character, and other documents that prove that you have fulfilled the visa conditions.
Step 3: Apply for the visa online.
Step 4: You will be notified by the authorities that they have received your visa application.
Step 5: You will be notified of the outcome of your visa application.
Cost of studying in Australia
Usually, courses in Arts, Education, and Humanities are cheaper while subjects like Engineering and Medicine are expensive. Studies at the Post Graduate level have higher tuition fees typically and costs are diverse based on the program.
|Study Program||Average Tuition Fees in AUD$|
|Undergraduate Bachelor Degree||$15,000 – $35,000 yearly|
|Postgraduate Master’s Degree||$20,000 – $40,000 yearly|
|Doctoral Degree||$14,000 – $37,000 yearly|
Upcoming intakes in Australia
Universities in Australia have diverse deadlines for application. However, the two general timelines are broadly applicable:
Intake 1: Semester 1 – It commences in February and is the major intake
Intake 2: Semester 2 – It commences in July intake is also available
WORK AUTHORIZATION FOR STUDENTS:
- Students must be over 18 years of age
- International students in Australia on a valid student visa can work for up to 20 hours per week
- An exception is, working as an academic assistant. There is no limit to how many days academic assistants may work
- They are not allowed to be self-employed or work as freelancers
After graduation students can apply for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). The visa will be granted based on the coursework and the category under which the student has applied.
In general, spouses are given the same rights as the spouse is already in Australia. Therefore, if the spouse in Australia has the right to work, the spouse who comes to join him or her will also have that right. But also note that only work permit holders can apply for the dependant visas.
Australia Student Visa Requirements:
Student visa details:
The student visa for Australia falls under Subclass 500.
You will be eligible for a student visa only if you wish to pursue a registered course or part of it on a full-time basis.
The maximum validity of the visa is five years.
A registered course is an education or training course offered by a university/ institute registered with the Australian government.
The course you wish to pursue must be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
- Issued an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) certificate – this is to confirm your enrolment in an Australian University.
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement – this is proof of your intention to come to Australia only to study and not to settle down here.
- Four recent passport-sized photographs
- Certified or notarized copies transcript/document of academic results
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – approved by the Australian government, this health insurance provides basic medical and hospital cover. You can purchase this insurance through your university.
- Results of tests in the English language like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE if you are a non-native English speaker
- Evidence of monetary means for covering all expenses during the period of study
- If applicable, proof of civil status
- Your University will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application
- Financial Requirements – to get your student visa you must prove that you have the funds to cover your course fees, travel, and living costs.
- Character Requirement – you must submit a certificate to prove you have no criminal record.
- Proof of visa fees payment – proof that you have paid the required visa fees.
If there any other additional requirements, the university you have been selected for will let you know about them.
AFTER YOU GRADUATE:
- If you completed a Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree, you may be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa
- Graduate Work stream: International students with an eligible qualification who graduated with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant
Post-study work options:
Post-Study Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa grants post-study work rights to international students who have completed a Bachelor’s, Masters, or Doctoral degree in Australia. They can work in the country for two to four years to gain international work experience.
Students can also work under the Graduate Work Stream. They are eligible for this stream if they have graduated with the skills and occupation that is related to an occupation which features in the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). This visa is valid for 18 months.
|QS World |
|University Name||QS World |
|24||The Australian National University||218||University of Wollongong|
|39||The University of Melbourne||244||Queensland University of Technology (QUT)|
|42||The University of Sydney||250||Curtin University|
|45||The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney)||250||Macquarie University|
|48||The University of Queensland||250||RMIT University|
|59||Monash University||264||University of South Australia|
|91||The University of Western Australia||287||University of Tasmania|
|114||The University of Adelaide||309||Deakin University|
|160||University of Technology Sydney||329||Griffith University|
|214||The University of Newcastle, Australia (UON)||369||James Cook University|
COVID-19: Are Australian universities and colleges accepting applications?
Online applications continue to be accepted from international students for the next intake.
COVID-19: I am a student in Australia. Can I access my superannuation?
Students that have been in Australia for more than 12 months and are finding themselves in financial hardship can access their superannuation.
COVID-19: Do I have to notify the Department of Home Affairs if I am returning to my home country?
COVID-19: Do I have to notify the Department of Home Affairs if I am returning to my home country?
COVID-19: Will the status of my Student visa change if my studies are deferred or I return home?
The status of your Student visa remains unchanged if you defer your studies or return home. Your visa will remain valid till your visa expires or you lodge another visa application.
COVID-19: When can I apply for a new Student visa if my current visa is expiring?
You should apply for a new Student visa for Australia 6 weeks before your existing Student visa expires.
COVID-19: Can international students work more than 40 hours a fortnight?
International students can work more than 40 hours a fortnight if they are employed in the nursing sector, the aged care sector, or employed by registered supermarkets. Do note that from May 1, 2020, international students can work only 40 hours a fortnight in registered supermarkets.
COVID-19: I am in Australia on Subclass 500 visa and it will expire soon. I can’t depart Australia. What do I do now?
You can apply for a Visitor visa [subclass 600]. Do keep in mind that you will have to apply for subclass 600 before your Australian student visa expires.
What is the minimum IELTS score required for Australian Student Visa?
To study in Australia, generally, you will require a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall with no band lesser than 6.0 for Post-graduate studies. You will require a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall when you apply for Undergraduate studies.
How much does an Australia student visa cost?
The student visa for Australia – subclass 500 – will cost from AUD 620 for the main applicant. A separate charge will be there for each of the family members that will be applying for the subclass 500 along with the principal applicant.
How much can a student earn in Australia?
Australia has the highest minimum salaries globally. The minimum wages per hour now is $ 16.22. It implies that you will earn quite good money even while doing an unskilled and casual job. Students with good skills earn considerably higher.
You can earn a minimum monthly salary of around $ 4,300 and higher in some cases. This is if you are successful in getting a full-time job and sponsor in Australia.
How much does it cost to study in Australia?
The average tuition fee for overseas Undergraduate students in Australia was AUD 30, 840 annually in 2018. For overseas Postgraduate students, it was AUD 31, 596 annually.
Study in Australia is the official government website for overseas students. It offers normal yearly tuition fee for overseas students as:
- Master’s degree – AUD 20,000 to AUD 37,000
- Doctoral degree – AUD 14,000 to AUD 37,000
The above figures are not applicable for high-value courses like Medial or Veterinary degrees. These can cost considerably higher.
How can I go to Australia to study from India?
The Government of Australia offers the opportunity to all students in India to study in Australia. However, the prerequisite is you must first obtain an Australia Student Visa.
The Visa that you will require will depend on how long you want to stay in Australia and your age. It will also depend on the type of study you intend to pursue. You will mostly need a Subclass 500 Student Visa as an overseas student irrespective of your field of study.
What are the requirements for Student Visa in Australia?
The general requirements that need to be fulfilled while applying for Australia Student Visa are:
- Evidence of enrolment- digital confirmation of enrolment
- A Passport that is valid
- The fee for Visa application
- The GTE statement – Genuine Temporary Entrant
- Documents for work experience and academics
- Proof of proficiency in English – required IELTS bands
- Proof of monetary ability – return airfare, expenses for dependents, living expenses, and tuition fees
- Details of your policy for health insurance – Overseas Student Health Cover
- SOP – Statement of Purpose
- Photographs of passport size
What is the GTE statement requirement for the student visa?
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Statement:
This document is required to prove that you are a Genuine Temporary Entrant. This is required to prove that your intention to come to Australia is to study and you would go back to your home country once you complete your studies or after a few years of work experience. To give you this document your visa application is assessed on the following basis by the department of home affairs
Your economic position in your home country
Your immigration history
Potential circumstances for you in Australia
Relevance of your course to your future career
To check if you meet the GTE requirements, you may be asked to attend an interview in the Australian embassy close to you.
Are Australian colleges and universities accepting applications from overseas students?
Even though colleges and universities in Australia are closed due to the Coronavirus pandemic, they are accepting online applications from international students for the next intake.