Australia PR Visa
Australia has always been a popular choice for individuals who desire to migrate to another country. The country has favorable factors such as a thriving economy which means more job opportunities. Australia promises a better quality of life and a multicultural society where there is peace and harmony.
Australia offers a permanent residency or PR visa to immigrants. The visa has a validity of five years. With a PR visa, you can move into Australia along with your family. You can apply for citizenship after living in Australia for three years with a PR visa.
Benefits of having a PR visa
- You can live and travel anywhere within Australia
- You can pursue higher studies in Australia and can apply for certain educational loans
- You become eligible for Social Security benefits after two years of having a PR visa
- You can sponsor the PR of your relatives if they meet certain pre-requisites
- You can apply for government jobs
- You can travel to New Zealand and can even apply for a visa there
General eligibility requirements
There are various categories under which you can apply for a PR visa which have different eligibility requirements. But the general eligibility factors are as under:
Points Requirement: Points determine your eligibility for a PR visa You must score at least 65 points under the Point’s Grid. The below table describes the different criteria for scoring points:
|Age (25-33 years)||30 points|
|English proficiency (8 bands)||20 points|
|Work Experience outside Australia (8-10 years)||15 points|
|Work Experience in Australia (8-10 years)||20 points|
|Education (outside Australia) – Doctorate degree||20 points|
|Niche skills such as Doctorate or master’s degree by research in Australia||10 points|
|Study in a regional area||5 points|
|Accredited in community language||5 points|
|Professional year in a skilled program in Australia||5 points|
|State sponsorship (190 visa)||5 points|
|Skilled spouse or de facto partner (Age, Skills & English language requirements to be met)||10 points|
|Spouse or de facto partner with ‘competent English’ (No need to meet Skills requirement or age factor)||5 points|
|Applicants without a spouse or de facto partner or where spouse is an Australia citizen or PR holder||10 points|
Age: Your age should be below 45 years to apply for a PR visa
Language Proficiency: You should have proof that you have a competent level of proficiency in the English language.
Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL): The applicant must choose an occupation that is available in the following skilled occupation lists. The list contains the occupations that are currently acceptable for migration to Australia. The occupations in the lists are updated regularly and reflect the changes in the Australian labor market. There are three categories of the SOL:
- Medium- and long-term Strategic Skills List
- Short-term Skilled Occupation List
- Regional Occupations List
What are the various Australian PR Visa Categories an applicant can choose?
Australia offers many options to apply for the PR visa card. You can choose the appropriate option based on your eligibility and requirements. Here are the popular options for your Australian PR:
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189): This visa option is suitable for skilled workers. However, this visa cannot receive sponsorship.
Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190): This visa is applicable to skilled workers who have a nomination from an Australian state/Territory. For this visa, you will have to prove that your occupation exists in the Skilled Occupation List.
Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 491): For eligibility under this visa, you must meet the skill requirement and get sponsorship or nomination from either state or region or territory.
Documents required in PR visa application:
- Application form
- Report of Educational Credential Assessment
- Birth certificate
- Character certificate
- Proof of nomination (if any)
- Test results of IELTS or PTE exam for English proficiency
- 2 passport size photos
- Spouse Skill documents if spouse is also applying for a PR visa
- Police Clearance Certification (PCC)
- Business reference letters
Steps in the PR application process
Step 1: Check the eligibility requirements
- Check if you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Verify if your occupation is present in the list of occupations in demand.
- Check if you have the required points based on the points table.
Step 2: English proficiency Test
Check if you have the required proficiency in the English language by taking the specified English language test. Fortunately, the Australian immigration authorities accept scores from various English ability tests like IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, etc. So, you can take any of these tests to obtain the specified score.
Step 3: Get your skill assessment done
Get your skills assessed by the Skills assessment authority which is an organization that will assess your skills, education and work experience based on Australian standards.
Step 4: Register your Expression of Interest
- The next step is to register an Expression of Interest (EOI) in Australia’s Skill Select website. You should fill an online form in the SkillSelect portal where you should give responses to questions on your skill which is again based on the visa subclass you are applying under. The SkillSelect program offers three visa categories under which you can apply for a PR visa.
- Skilled Independent Visa Subclass 189
- Skilled Nominated Visa 190
- Skilled regional (provisional) Subclass 491
The first two are permanent visas while the third one is a temporary visa with a validity of five years which can later be converted to a PR visa.
You should provide all the required information in the online application.
Step 5: Get your Invitation to Apply (ITA)
Once you submit your application and if it meets all the requirements then you will get an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Australia PR.
Step 6: Submit your PR application
The next step is to submit your PR application. You must submit it within 60 days. The application must have all the supporting documents for processing your PR visa. These documents are your personal documents, immigration documents, and work experience documents.
Step 7: Get your clearance certificates
The next step is to submit your police clearance certificates. After a medical examination, you must submit your medical clearance certificate.
Step 8: Get your PR visa
The last step is getting your PR visa.
How much time does a PR visa take?
If you diligently follow all the steps involved in the PR application process, the next question would be how long it will take for the visa to be processed. PR visa processing includes different stages. Each stage has a different time structure. Here is a breakdown of the time taken for each stage. Addition of the time taken for each stage determines the total processing time for your PR visa.
- Skill assessment: This is done by a designated skill assessment body. Based on how soon you submit your documents, you will get a faster response from them. The processing time ranges from 45 to 60 days.
- Expression of Interest: The processing time depends on your eligibility score. The higher your score, the better are your chances to get an invitation to apply (ITA).
Visa Application Submission: After you receive your ITA, you must submit your visa application to the DHA or the Department of Home Affairs. This must be done within 60 days of receiving your ITA.
- Medical and character certificate: The character and medical certificates may take some time to be processed. It is better if you start the process for getting these documents as soon as you receive your ITA so that you can submit your visa approval as soon as possible.
Visa Approval: Once you submit the required document, the DHA conducts thorough research of your profile. If they are happy with your profile, they will give you a visa grant. This process takes about 3 to 5 months.
- Preparation for Departure: Once you get your visa approval, you will have to move to Australia within six months.
Getting your PR visa for Australia can be a complicated process, but with the help of an immigration consultant it can be easy. Our expertise of over 15 years has helped many individuals to get their Australia PR visa.
Is it easy to get an Australia PR Visa?
Getting an Australia PR Visa is eased if you can score 70 points. Applicants must also have a Master’s degree, work experience in skills list of Australia and a good score in English test. They can then obtain the PR Visa within 12 months.
How many points are required for Australian PR?
The applicants of Australia PR through a Skilled Visa are required to score at least 65 points for applying from 1 July 2018. This change through legislation will affect all applicants with 60 points. It is if they are yet to receive an invite to apply for an Australia Skilled Visa.
It must be noted here that scoring the minimum points of 65 does assure an invite for Visa application. As per the latest data, the points needed for Skilled Visas remain high. As a result, several individuals now opt for sponsorship from a State.
As a matter of fact, applicants need at least 70 to 75 points to receive an invite for Subclass 189 Skilled Independent Visa application. Applicants have 2 primary methods to enhance their score – State Sponsorship and the English Test.
What are the pathways to obtain Australia PR?
There are 3 pathways through which applicants can obtain the Australia PR:
Australia PR through the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
The Government of Australia has launched a new Visa replacing the Subclass 457 Visa from March 2018. It is the Subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.
The 482 or TSS Visa is divided into 2 streams:
- STSOL – Short-Term Skilled Occupations List: If you qualify for only the STSOL, then you do not have a transition pathway to Australia PR.
- MLTSSL – Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List: If you qualify for the MLTSSL, then you have the pathway for transitioning to Australia PR after 3 years.
Australia PR through the Skilled Migration Visa
To apply for Australia PR through this pathway, you must select the appropriate occupation. You will also need the required IELTS bands score and Skills Assessment results. This is a points-based system. Thus you will have to score the minimum required points which are 65 now. Nevertheless, higher scores will only enhance your chances of getting the invitation to apply for the Visa.
Australia PR as Partner of Permanent resident or Australian Citizen
You can apply for Australia PR as a Partner Visa holder. This is as a Fiancé, De facto partner or Spouse of Australian Permanent resident or Citizen or qualified New Zeeland citizen. The PR Visa, in this case, is offered after 2 years of applying for the Partner Visa. This is based on the current status of your relationship.
How much do I need to invest in Australia to get PR?
Below is the investment required for Australia PR under the Investment Visa streams:
Business Investment Visa: Business owners or successful investors must be willing to invest at least AUD 1.5 million for 4 years
Significant Investor Visa: Individuals who intend to benefit Australia must make an investment of at least AUD 5 million for 4 years
How many years do you have to live in Australia to be a citizen?
Applicants who have obtained their Australia PR after July 1, 2007, must fulfil the below requirements for obtaining Australian Citizenship:
- Must have resided in Australia legally for a minimum of 4 years
- Must have resided in Australia for a minimum of 12 months as PR holders
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.