Why Subclass 189 visa?
- Stay in Australia permanently
- Work in Australia along with PR
- Travel to and from Australia any number of times
- Earn in AUD, 5 times more than your current salary
- Settle in Australia along with your family
Subclass 189 visa
A points-tested permanent visa, the Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa is issued to skilled workers who have not been sponsored by an Australia-based employer, family member or nominated by a state/territory. To get a Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189), applicants should get at least 65 points on the point assessment. Candidates need to submit an expression of interest (EOI) and also need to be invited by SkillSelect to apply for this visa. After getting an invitation to apply (ITA) for this visa, you should submit your application within 60 days.
On the granting of the 189 Visa (Skilled Independent), a holder of the visa and accompanying family members can stay, work, and study as permanent residents in Australia.
*Looking for jobs in Australia? Y-Axis is here to assist you in all the steps.
Advantages of getting a 189 visa
- Reside in Australia for life.
- Work and study in the ‘Land Down Under’.
- Enroll in Medicare, a scheme for health care and its expenses in Australia
- Sponsor close relatives for permanent residence (PR)
- Take a trip for five years to and from Australia
- Apply for citizenship of Australia, if qualified.
Subclass 189 Visa Requirements
To gain eligibility to apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa, candidates need to:
- Possess an occupation that is listed on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Fill out skill assessment successfully for the related occupation
- have minimum English language proficiency
- have a score of a minimum of 65 points.
- Receive an invitation to apply
Here is the list of required documents:
- Obligatory application form
- Passport with photographs
- Skills assessment report
- English language test report in PTE or IELTS
- Skilled occupation documents
- Two color passport-sized photographs
- Documents of education qualification (including highest degree)
- Study requirement of Australia
- Skills of spouses or partners
- Relationship proof documents
- Good health documents
- Character certificates
- Reference letters from employees
How to apply for a 189 Visa?
Step 1: Check your eligibility score. You should score 65 points or more
Step 2: Register your Expression of Interest (EOI)
Step 3: Receive an invitation to apply (ITA)
Step 4: Submit the requirements
Step 5: Fly to Australia
Eligibility for 189 Visa
You can apply for a 189 Skilled Independent Visa, provided you fulfill the following requirements:
Occupation and Talents
Your occupation must be present on the applicable list of eligible skilled occupations.
You need to complete the skills assessment through the accredited assessing authority to demonstrate that you hold the skills and qualifications to be employed in the occupation of your choice.
Invitation and Points Test
- You must file for an Expression of Interest (EOI) and get an invitation to apply (ITA) for this visa.
- You need to score at least 65 points to get an invitation to apply (ITA).
- The last invitation round lists the point scores which attracted ITAs. There are also certain occupations where you need to get more than 65 points to be taken into consideration.
- You need to fulfill the points score eligibility when you get an invitation to apply for the visa.
- Calculate your points
- You must provide proof of minimum English proficiency. Additional points will be granted for superior English scores.
- Improve through an Online English Academy your score in English.
You must be aged below 45 to receive an invitation to apply.
Health and Character Requirements
You should fulfill the health & character requirements.
If you are a citizen of New Zealand, you become eligible to apply for the New Zealand Stream 189 Visa instead.
The tables demonstrate the estimated costs for 189 visas.
Application Fees for Subclass 189 Visa
|Primary Adult Applicant||AUD 4,115|
|Additional Adult Applicant (more than 18 years)||AUD 2,055|
|Dependent Child (fewer than 18 years)||AUD 1,030|
Other Expenses Associated with Subclass 189 visa
|Type of Fee||Fees to be paid per individual|
|Education Credentials & Work Assessment (ACS)||USD 390|
|Police Clearance Certificate (varies from one country to another)||USD 18|
|English Proficiency Test||USD 200|
|Medical Examination (varies from one country to another)||USD 350|
It is a long and extensive process to get an Australian visa. You can pay the visa fees online making use of both debit and credit cards. However, you may incur additional transaction charges when you pay with the cards.
Subclass 189 visa – Processing Times
There are various aspects to processing times needed for these visas such as time taken by skill-assessing authorities, invitation rounds, state sponsorship, and others. Here is a step-by-step guide for processing Subclass 189 visa.
|189 Visa Processing Time|
|7 – 12 Working Days||Confirm if your profile exists in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)|
|0 – 15 days||Ensure to meet all the eligibility requirements|
|2 – 3 Months||Finish the Skills Assessment Tests|
|15 Working Days||Submit through Skill Select an EOI|
|2 Months||Lodging Visa Application|
|15 – 30 Days||Await a decision|
How can Y-Axis help you?
- Free eligibility check through Australia Immigration Points Calculator
- Expert guidance/counseling for Australia Immigration
- Coaching services: Expert PTE coaching, IELTS proficiency Coaching
- Free career counseling, book your slot today
- Complete guidance for Australia PR visa
- Job search services to find related jobs in Australia
Which is the better visa? Is it Subclass 189 or Subclass 491?
The Subclass 189 visa is exclusively for permanent residency and therefore immigrants opt for it more. A transitional visa, the Subclass 491 visa only allows relocation to other parts of Australia for employment after three years and permanency subsequently.
What is the Subclass 189 visa’s validity period?
The validity period of the Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) Visa is indefinite. It is a permanent resident visa and also includes in the application close relations.
Are 70 points enough for a Subclass 189 visa?
For the Subclass 189 visa, the minimum points required at the 2019 year-end were 90 to get an invitation. To get an invitation, these candidates too had to wait for four months.
How can an applicant of Australian PR increase his/her points?
For candidates of Australian PR, additional means to get more points are as follows.
- Taking an English language proficiency exam
- Obtain from an Australian state or territory a nomination
- Skills of spouse/partner also help
- Get work experience in Australia
- Become a qualified translator
- Possess STEM qualifications
How does the subclass 189 visa differ from the subclass 190 visa?
Requirements for these two subclasses differ. While the 189 visa does not need any sponsorship, the 190 visa needs a nomination from a state or a territory.
How much work experience is required for an Australia PR visa?
You can apply for Australian citizenship after you hold the PR visa for three years. Overall eligibility criteria include work experience of eight to ten years within or outside Australia.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.