Finland Student Visa
How to apply for a Student residence permit
Submit your application:
- Fill the details in the form and apply online. Ensure you submit the documents required with your application.
- Pay your application fees either online or at the Finnish embassy or consulate
- Visit the Finnish embassy or consulate on the appointment date to present your biometric data
Wait for a decision:
- It may take 1 to 3 months to process your application
- Collect your residence permit when you arrive in Finland
You must submit the following documents with your visa application
- Valid passport
- Recent Color Passport photo
- Certificate of acceptance from the educational institution in Finland
- Details of tuition fee payments or any scholarships
- Proof that you have enough funds to support yourself during your stay in the country
- Receipt to prove that you have paid the processing fees for the visa
- International student health insurance
Working with a residence permit
International students with a residence permit can work in Finland provided it is related to the course they are doing. A student can work for 25 hours a week during the program and full-time during vacation breaks.
Visas for dependents
As a student with a residence permit, you can bring your spouse and children to Finland during the course duration. They will have to independently apply for the permit to join you in the country. Finnish immigration authorities will try their best to process your applications together. To get their permits you must prove that you have enough funds to support their stay in Finland.
How can Y-Axis help you?
- Advise you on the required documentation
- Advise you on the funds that need to be shown
- Fill out the application forms
- Review your documents for the visa application
What is the difference between a student visa and a student residence permit?
A Finland student visa is a temporary short-term permit that is issued to an international student who wishes to stay and study in Finland for a maximum duration of 3 months or 90 days.
A Finland student residence permit, on the other hand, is a residence permit issued to an international student who wishes to stay and study in Finland for a duration longer than 3 months or 90 days. Generally, a student residence permit for Finland is granted for 1 year at a time.
When can I apply for the student resident permit for Finland?
You will have to apply for a residence permit for studying in Finland after you have secured a study place in an educational institution in Finland. To be issued a residence permit for studies, your studies in Finland must lead to a degree or a vocational qualification.
A residence permit might also be issued for studies not leading to a degree or vocational qualification, but only on reasonable grounds.
Which is better – electronic application or paper application?
According to the official website of the Finnish Immigration Service, as on January 20, 2020 –
|Expected processing time for electronic application||1-3 months [First Permit]|
|Expected processing time for paper application||4–5 months [First Permit]|
|Electronic application fee||EUR 350 [First Permit]|
|Paper application fee||EUR 450 [First Permit]|
How many Indians got Finland residence permit for studies in 2019?
As per the official statistics available, between 1/2019 and 12/2019 a total of 6,071 residence permits for studies were processed. Of these, while 5,246 were granted, 825 got a negative decision.
Indian students got 258 residence permits for studies in 2019.
What are the basic requirements for residence permit for studies in Finland?
For a residence permit for studies in Finland, an international student must have –
- The required funds for the entire duration of your stay in Finland as an international student.
- A confirmed study place in an educational institution that will lead to a degree or vocational qualification.
- Your certificate of insurance will have to be attached with your application.
How much funds do I have to show?
You will have to show proof of having EUR 560 per month for the entire duration of your studies in Finland.
For a 2-year stay in Finland as an international student, you must have EUR 13,440 at your disposal.
Do I have to submit a new application as I accepted another study place after submitting my residence permit application?
No. You are not expected to notify the Finnish Immigration Service if you have accepted another study place in another university. All that is important is that you have a confirmed study place.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.