Why study in Germany?
Germany is an ideal destination for study overseas with its world-class education and thrilling urban life that is embedded in serene landscapes. It has a welcoming culture and accepts immigrants from all over the world. The German economy is vast with infinite opportunities for overseas graduates.
- Universities in Germany charge low tuition fees or have no tuition fees at all
- Overseas students in Germany have numerous funding and scholarship options
- German Universities have a good number of programs taught in English
- Overseas students can enjoy a high standard of living for low costs
- Overseas graduates from German Universities have numerous job options
- Universities in Germany have a multi-ethnic and international ambiance
- The economy of Germany is a flourishing one
Cost of studying in Germany
Overseas students can study for free at Public Universities in Germany. However, there is enrolment, administration and confirmation charge per semester that must be paid by them. This varies depending on the University – Private or Public and the chosen course.
|Study Program||Average Tuition Fees in €|
|Undergraduate Bachelor Degree||€500 -€20,000 yearly|
|Postgraduate Master’s Degree||€5,000 – €30,000 yearly|
Upcoming intakes in Germany
Universities in Germany have diverse deadlines for application. However, the two general timelines are broadly applicable:
Intake 1: Summer Semester – The application must be submitted prior to January 15th
Intake 2: Winter Semester – The application must be submitted prior to July 15th
Work Authorization for students
- Students must be over 18 years of age
- International students from other countries are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year
- An exception is, working as an academic assistant. There is no limit to how many days academic assistants may work
- They are not allowed to be self-employed or work as freelancers.
In general, spouses are given the same rights as the spouse is already in Germany. Therefore, if the spouse in Germany has the right to work, the spouse who comes to join him or her will also have that right. But also note that only work permit holders can apply for the dependent visas.
Germany Student Visa requirements:
- Transcript and certificates of your Undergraduate studies
- Details of the Secondary education
- Interview – Universities in Germany can discuss your experience and application in an arranged interview
- Additional tests for admission such as the GRE or GMAT
- Results of tests in the English language like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE if you are a non-native English speaker
- Programs in German will need test certificate for the German language as a part of your application
- Your University will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application
After You Graduate
- Upon completing the studies in Germany, students can apply for and get a residence permit of 18 months to look for a job as per their qualification
- As soon as a student gets a job offer, s/he can choose whether to apply for a German residence permit or an European Union Blue Card for the next part of their stay
- Students may get a residence permit though they get a job offer for a part-time employment, provided that the expected salary secures all the means of subsistence
- If a student wants to stay in Germany and become a permanent resident, s/he can apply for a ‘settlement permit’ as early as two years after receiving their permanent residence permit or EU Blue Card.
- Technical University of Munich
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
- KIT, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Is it necessary to know the German language to study in Germany?
No, it is not mandatory to know the German language to study in Germany. Many Universities offer a Masters in English. It will also depend on the course that you want to apply for.
Is IELTS required for Germany Student Visa?
Yes, IELTS scores are required for the Germany Student Visa as a proof of proficiency in the English language.
How much does it cost to study in Germany for Indian students?
Indian students who intend to study in Germany will require INR 10 lakh annually. This will include the Rs 7 lakh for Block account, initial expenditures, nominal tuition fees, and living costs.
How do I apply to study in Germany for free?
Study in Germany for free implies that there will be no tuition fees or very nominal tuition fees. This is at Public universities as they do not charge any tuition fees. Their admission criteria include fluency in German or aggregate of 80% marks for some Universities.
What are the requirements for studying in Germany?
The application for Germany Study Visa will have to be made in person and Visa fess 60 Euros will have to be paid. Apart from this, 2 sets of application documents must be provided with photocopies of the below documents:
- Study Visa application form
- A passport that is valid
- Copy of the data page of the passport
- A declaration that states that the information offered is true and complete
- Letter of admission from a University in Germany
- A Cover letter that explains the reasons for the Visa application
- University transcripts and Certificates – Degree mark sheets and certificates
- Evidence of proficiency in language – IELTS score
- Evidence of funds
- Demand draft
- 3 passport photographs as per biometric specifications and taken in the last 6 months
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.