I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do ?

Get Free Counseling

Malaysia work permit

Malaysia is a popular location for international workers. There are many job options available, and the cost of living is reasonable. Malaysia boasts outstanding health care facilities and a large number of international schools.

Many international firms have their Asian headquarters in Malaysia. Malaysia attracts an increasing number of foreigners due to its diversified workforce and amicable integration of natives and expats. Aside from job prospects, Malaysian businesses provide competitive salaries and benefits to their employees, keeping them happy.

Before you wish to work in Malaysia as a foreign national, you must first find a Malaysian company ready to hire you. Then, on your behalf, your employer must apply for a Malaysia work permit.

After the application has been approved by the authorities in charge of awarding work permits to international employees you can begin working in Malaysia.

In order to work in Malaysia, you will need the Malaysia work permit.

International workers have access to three different types of Malaysia work visa. They are issued based on the profession and duration of work.

  1. Malaysia employment pass

This Malaysia work permit visa is issued to highly qualified foreign nationals who are hired by a Malaysian company for technical or managerial positions.

Before you can receive this employment pass, the Malaysian employer has to get the approval of the relevant regulatory authority to hire the foreign national.

The duration of this work permit is between 1 to 5 years and can be renewed on a case-to-case basis.

  1. Malaysia temporary employment pass

This pass is issued for an employment duration of two years and has two categories.

  • Foreign Worker Temporary Employment Pass- This category allows the foreign worker to work in the following industries- Manufacturing, Construction, Plantation, Agriculture and Services. Citizens of approved countries can also receive this type of Pass.
  • Foreign Domestic Helper (FDH) Temporary Employment Pass- This category is issued to female workers from approved countries. The foreign worker has to work in the home of her employer who may have young children or elderly parents who need care.
  1. The Professional Visit Pass

This pass is issued to foreign nationals who are required to come to Malaysia on temporary work (up to 12 months).

Eligibility requirements

The requirements for acquiring a Malaysia work visa vary depending on the type of work permit you are seeking.

For the Employment Pass, you must have the necessary qualifications (diplomas, certifications) as well as suitable work experience for the position you will be filling. A monthly salary of at least RM3,000 per month, and up to RM10,000 per month in some categories, is required.

Requirements for the Temporary Employment Pass (TEP) vary depending on your country and age. You must, for example, be between the ages of 18 and 45 and a citizen of one of the approved nations. You must also be a woman between the ages of 21 and 45 to work as a Foreign Domestic Helper. There are no specific qualifications required for the TEP.

You can only work in Malaysia for a limited time with a Professional Visit Pass, and you must be employed by a non-Malaysian company. As a result, international artists, film crews, religious workers, government employees, students undergoing training, guest lecturers, and volunteers are all eligible for this form of work permit. In this instance, you will require a sponsor rather than an employer in Malaysia.

Application process

Your employer is responsible for obtaining a Malaysia work permit on your behalf. They must file an application with Malaysia’s Immigration Department. If you are a citizen from a visa required country, you may go to Malaysia or apply for a visa with reference once the application has been approved by the Immigration Department.

Documents required
  • Duly filled application form.
  • Valid passport.
  • Copies of certificates. Proving educational qualifications.
  • Proof of previous employment.
  • 2 color photographs.
  • Details about the work that will be performed by the applicant in Malaysia.
  • Employment letter from company in Malaysia.
How can Y-Axis help you?
  • Y-Axis can assist you with:
  • Immigration documents checklist
  • Guidance in application processing
  • Forms, documentation & application filing
  • Updates & follow up

Talk to us today to understand whether you are eligible for the Malaysia work visa.

Sign up for a free expert consultation

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do ?

Get Free Counseling

Looking for Inspiration

Explore what Global Indians have to say about Y-Axis in shaping their future

Urvasi Sharma

Urvashi Sharma

Canada Dependent Visa

Urvashi Sharma got Permanent Resident Vi




Canada Work Permit Visa

Varun provided us with great Y-Axis Revi


Flying high with a dream job


Job Search Services

Our client here has enjoyed all the adva


Frequently Asked Questions

With a Malaysian work visa for Indians, can you bring your family?

Only those holding Employment Passes are permitted to bring their families to Malaysia. You can bring the following family members with the Malaysia Dependent’s Pass if you have an EP:

 Your spouse

Children under the age of 21 who are dependent on you

Can you change jobs when you have the Malaysia work visa permit?

No, you can work only for the company named in the Employment Pass. If you change your company, you must resubmit your application