Settle With Your Family In Canada
Are you a citizen or permanent resident or work permit holder in Canada wanting to bring your dependents to Canada? To facilitate families to live together, the Government of Canada allows eligible residents above the age of 18 to sponsor dependent spouses, children, parents, partners, and grandparents to live with them in Canada. Y-Axis can help you reunite with your family with our dedicated Canada dependent visa services.
Canada Dependent Visa Details
The Canada Dependent Visa allows you to bring your dependents to Canada and also allows them to work or study full time once they have the relevant permits. Under the Canada Dependent Visa, you can sponsor the following relations for a dependent visa:
- Your spouse or common-law partner or conjugal partner
- Dependent children under the age of 21
- Dependent parents or grandparents
- A child you adopted outside Canada while you held a Canadian citizenship or PR
- Your brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt or other close relatives
The relations you sponsor can live with you in Canada. Your spouse or conjugal partner can also apply for a Work Permit in order to work in Canada.
Sub heading-Child visa to bring dependent children to Canada
The dependent visa allows sponsors to bring their children to Canada:
- Child adopted outside Canada when the sponsor was a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in the country
- Child that they intend to adopt in Canada
- Sponsor’s brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter if they are an orphan and meet the eligibility criteria
Eligibility conditions for child visa:
- The child must be under 22 years who does not have a spouse, or a common law or conjugal partner.
- The dependent child must be the biological child or the adopted child of the sponsor.
- The child must prove he is dependent on the sponsor/parent for his financial needs.
- Dependent children who are not able to support themselves due to a physical or mental condition have no age limit for seeking sponsorship.
- The sponsor must submit proof of his relationship with the dependent children.
- The children who are being sponsored must undergo a medical examination and also submit proof that they have no criminal cases pending against them.
- The medical examination must be done by a physician who is approved by the Canadian government.
Eligibility conditions to sponsor a dependent:
If an individual wants to sponsor a Dependent Visa for Canada, he must submit documents that provide information about his finances for the past 12 months to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This will help the authorities to determine if the sponsor has the means to financially support the members which includes his dependent children.
The documentation required for sponsoring a dependent under the Canada Dependent Visa includes:
- Passport & travel history
- Background documentation
- Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
- Other proof of relationship
- Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
- Completed application & consulate fees
How Y-Axis Can Help You
With decades of experience in the Canadian immigration process, Y-Axis has deep experience to help you with your Canada Dependent Visa. Relocating your family to Canada is a sensitive task and Y-Axis has the expertise to help you apply with confidence. Our teams will help you with:
- Completing the visa documents checklist
- Assistance during application processing
- Forms, documentation & application filing
- Updates & follow up
- Relocation and post-landing support in Canada
Is IELTS required for Canada Dependent Visa?
IELTS is not mandatory for Canada Dependent Visa. Nevertheless, they can incur some extra points to the primary applicant if they apply along with them. This is if the dependent scores 6 or plus bands in IELTS. This ultimately boosts the profile of the primary applicant and increases the chances of obtaining the Canada PR Visa.
Is dependent allowed to work in Canada?
Yes, Dependents are permitted to work in Canada. They need to have an Open Work Permit for this. It will allow them to work full-time anywhere any Canada without any curbs. They can reside and work in any part of the nation excluding Quebec.
The only way to obtain this Permit is after arrival in Canada. They must then obtain their Work or Study Visa at the earliest. The sponsor can file for their Open work Permit only if they have a valid Canada Visa.
Can I sponsor my parents to Canada?
Yes, you can sponsor your parents to Canada if:
- Your age is at least 18 years
- You reside in Canada
- You are a Canada PR holder/Citizen/ individual registered in Canada as an Indian as per the Canadian Indian Act
- You have adequate funds to sponsor your parents to Canada
- You must be able to offer your proof of income to prove that you have adequate funds
Can I invite my parents to Canada?
Yes, you can invite your parents to Canada through the Super Visa. They can come and settle with you in Canada if you are a Canada PR holder/Citizen. You must prove your relationship with your parents to the IRCC to be eligible to apply for this Visa.
How long does it take to get a Dependent Visa for Canada?
It should take roughly 3 months after submission of all the paperwork for the interview to be held at the Embassy of Canada where the dependent resides. After this, it is more or less waiting for the Visa to be stamped on the Passport.
What are the rules to follow when you apply for a sponsorship visa for your spouse?
In order to apply for a visa for your spouse or conjugal partner you and your partner must be 18 years or above.
Your partner must be a member of the family class, otherwise you will not be able to sponsor them. You must be a citizen, permanent resident, or have a work permit to sponsor your spouse.
You must have a genuine relationship with your spouse which was not entered into just for the permanent resident status. The duration of your relationship must be at least a year old.
What are the changes in the dependent visa rules after the Canada immigration changes in 2019?
The Canadian government has removed the Canadian Spousal Visa rule which required the sponsored spouse to stay in Canada for a minimum of two years.
The family reunification time is now reduced to 12 months. There is one common application package for all types of sponsorship visas.
The document checklist for the visa application has now become more specific and personal based on whom the application is for. You can choose the most relevant checklist from the four checklists to decide on which form you will need to submit.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.