Work In Africa’s Hottest Economy
South Africa is a key player in the economic boom that Africa is undergoing. As these countries modernise and grow, the demand for skilled talent continues to rise. The South Africa Critical Skills Work Visa is your key to working and settling in South Africa. One of the most beautiful countries in the world, South Africa has seen a dramatic rise in its economic and cultural profile in the past two decades. It also has a thriving expat community with Indian, British, Dutch and other nationalities calling it home. Y-Axis can help you leverage this opportunity and establish yourself in South Africa.
South Africa Critical Skills Work Permit Visa Details
The South Africa Critical Skills Work Visa is aimed at skilled professionals whose occupation is on the critical shortage occupation list. It allows workers holding this visa to visit South Africa and search for a job. Once the applicant has found a job, he or she can then convert it to a work permit. Key features of the South Africa Critical Skills Work Visa are:
- An applicant can enter South Africa without a job offer
- Visa is based on skills and qualification as per the Critical Skills list defined by the South Africa Department of Home Affairs
- Visa is initially granted for 12 months and is extendable as per the Authority
- Applicant needs to find a job within the Visa grant period
- Visa is then extended to 5 years to a Critical Skills Work Permit
- No need to go through the onerous labor certification process which is required for a General Work Visa application
The documentation required for the South Africa Critical Skills Work Visa includes:
- Current passport and travel history
- Educational credentials
- Professional credentials
- Recent medical report
- Police clearance certificate
- Other supporting documents
How Y-Axis Can Help You?
Y-Axis has the knowledge and experience to assist you at every step of your South Africa Critical Skills Work Visa application. Our services include:
- Immigration documents checklist
- Complete application processing
- Forms, documentation & application filing
- Updates & follow up
- Job search services
- Relocation and post-landing support in South Africa
Your Y-Axis consultant can guide you through the process and help you file an application with the highest chances of sucesss. Talk to us today.
What is the Critical Skills Work Visa?
South Africa’s Critical Skills visa allows non-South African nationals that have exceptional qualifications and skills, considered to be scarce in South Africa, to live and work in the country.
Who can apply for South Africa Critical Skills Work Visa?
Only those people can apply that have their occupation listed in the Critical Skills List.
Where can I check the Critical Skills List?
As per reports, the Critical Skills List is under review by the Department of Home Affairs. A new updated list is expected to be available either by the end of 2019 or in 2020.
What is the processing time?
The official processing time is about 30 to 40 days. Do keep in mind that it can take much longer than this in certain cases.
Do I need a job offer to apply?
No. A specific job offer is not needed for being eligible. Nevertheless, you will be required to find a job within 1 year of obtaining the visa.
What is the basic step-by-step process for applying for South Africa’s Critical Skills Work Visa?
Step 1: Check if your profession is on the Department of Home Affairs’ Critical Skills List.
Step 2: Get your evaluation done by South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Step 3: Get your skill assessment by any of the professional bodies/councils recognized by SAQA.
Step 4: Proof of sufficient financial means.
Step 5: Proof of accommodation when in South Africa.
Step 6: Employment contract and other supporting documents. This is an optional step and will be required only when you will be applying with a job offer.
Step 7: Arranging miscellaneous documents –
- Duly completed DHA-1738 form
- Birth Certificate, certified copy
- Passport-sized photos (2)
- Passport, with at least 2 blank pages and expiry not less than 30 days after the expected date of departure from South Africa
- Updated CV
- Medical Certificate. Not older than 6 months at the time of submission. Get the Medical certificate form here.
- Radiologist Report. Not older than 6 months at submission. Get Form here.
- Academic qualifications – certificates, transcripts, degrees etc.
- Extract from the Government Gazette with the critical skill clearly encircled. You will have to submit just the page that mentions your critical skill, and not the printout of the entire Gazette.
- Cover Letter, with your personal details – name, address, contact etc. – and stating that you are applying for a Critical Skills Visa.
- Police Clearance Certificate from each of the countries that you have lived in for 12 months or more since turning 18 years old.
- From previous employers – at least 2 testimonials/recommendations/references.
Step 8: Submitting your visa application.
Where can I submit my visa application in India?
Depending on your country, you will be required to submit your visa application at South Africa Embassy/Consulate or a VFS Centre.
If you are in India, you will have to apply at any of the VFS Visa application centres that is competent to handling your application.
Check here for VFS Visa Application Centres in India.
What is SAQA?
If you wish to study/work in South Africa and have educational qualifications from outside South Africa, you will be required to get an evaluation of your qualifications from South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
Applying for work permits in South Africa requires the applicant to submit a SAQA certificate of evaluation as well.
Why is SAQA evaluation necessary?
SAQA evaluation determines the level of the corresponding National Qualifications Framework that your foreign qualifications would be equivalent to.
What are the SAQA recognized bodies for skill assessment?
The list of professional bodies recognized by SAQA can be accessed here.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.