Migrate to Austria

Sign up for a free expert consultation

Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do
Don't know what to do?

Get Free Counseling

Austria PR Visa

If you intend to stay in Austria for more than six months and are not an EEA citizen or a Swiss national, then you will need to get a residence permit. Austria offers different types of resident permits. However, if your period of stay is less than six months, you do not require a residence permit, but you will need a visa.

The application for a residence permit should be made in person and in your home country before you enter Austria. Residence permits are issued for either employment, study or research. You need to have a fixed and regular source of income to meet your living costs. The best cities to live in Austria include Vienna, Innsbruck and Salzburg.

Residence permits to migrate to Austria

Given below is a list of residence permits to migrate to Austria

  • Nufenthaltsbewilligung or temporary residence permit (for temporary stay in Austria)
  • Betriebsentsandter for employees sent on temporary duty
  • Rotationsarbeitskraft for company representatives/managers/executives
  • Selbsttändiger for self-employed individuals
  • Forscher for researchers in Austrian educational institutions
  • Künstler for self-employed artists
  • Sonderfälle unselbständiger Erwerbstätigkeit for journalists, guest lecturers
  • Student for individuals attending college/university in Austria
  • Schüler for students attending school (grade 1-12) in Austria
  • Niederlassungsbewilligung – this visa is for foreign nationals who plan to live in Austria for a period exceeding six months.


To apply for permanent residency in Austria, you must meet the following requirements:

  • For the past five years, you must have had legal status in Austria.
  • You must be financially self-sufficient, whether through employment or self-employment.
  • You must be insured by health insurance for those five years.
  • Module 2 of the Integration Agreement must be fulfilled, which involves achieving a B1 level of German.

Application process

  • You must submit only complete applications
  • They must be submitted in person
  • If the applicant is a minor, then the application should be signed by both the parents
  • Processing time will require at least one month because all applications must the sent to Austria

Documents required

  • Valid passport with at least three months validity from the date of return
  • Completed application form with receipt for payment of consular fees
  • Recent passport size photo
  • Notarized copy of your birth certificate
  • Certificate proving good conduct and absence of any criminal record
  • Proof of health, travel and accident insurance coverage
  • Proof of having enough funds
  • Proof of having arranged accommodation in Austria

How can Y-Axis help you?

  • Advise you on the documentation that will be required for the visa
  • Advise you on how the funds needed for the visa need to be shown
  • Complete the application process
  • Review your documents needed for the visa application
  • Help you prepare for a visa interview in case one is required

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements to work in Austria?
What are the types of Work permits for Austria?
What are the criteria for an Australian citizen to Work in Australia?
What are the most in-demand jobs in Austria?
What are the employment benefits in Austria?
For how many days an Australian can stay in Austria?
Who needs a residence permit?
What is the Red-White-Red Card?
Can I apply for Red-White-Red Card without a job offer?
What if I change employers while on Red-White-Red Card?
Can I get my family to Austria on my Red-White-Red Card?
Who all are included in family members?
What are the prerequisites for a family member's PR visa?
What can a PR visa be used for?