Sri Lanka Tourist Visa
Sri Lanka is an island nation with beautiful beaches, pristine landscapes and ancient temples. It is a beautiful country that is worth visiting.
About Sri Lanka
Formerly known as Ceylon, Sri Lanka is an island country in the Indian Ocean. The Palk Strait lies between India and Sri Lanka. The island country is situated around 30 kilometers to the south-east of India.
At a crossroads of maritime routes, Sri Lanka has been exposed to various cultural influences from diverse civilizations. Ceylon officially became Sri Lanka in 1972.
The city of Colombo is the executive and judicial capital. Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte is the legislative capital of Sri Lanka.
The currency of the country is Sri Lankan Rupee. While the international currency code for the same is LKR, the most commonly used currency abbreviation is SLR.
Prominent tourist destinations in Sri Lanka include –
· Yala National Park
· Ravana Falls
· Hikkaduwa Beach
· Adam’s Peak
· The Cultural Triangle, containing the area between the cities of Anuradhapura, Kandy, and Polonnaruwa.
WHY VISIT SRI LANKA
There are many reasons that make Sri Lanka worth visiting. These include –
- A multicultural nation
- Year-long festivities
- Natural diversity
- Rich history
- Ranked as a prominent wellness tourism destination
Travel destinations within Sri Lanka provide a range of diverse holiday experiences for a traveler.
As an Indian citizen, you do not require a visa to travel to the country. You can visit the country with an Electronic Travel Authorisation or ETA that allows you to stay in the country for 30 days.
Here are some details on the ETA and the process of getting your travel visa. Citizens of every country except Singapore, Maldives and Seychelles require an ETA to visit Sri Lanka.
Short Visit to Sri Lanka
An Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) will be needed by a prospective traveler looking to go to Sri Lanka for a short stay as a tourist or for business purposes. Transiting through Sri Lanka, while on way to another destination, will also require an ETA.
As per the Department of Immigration & Emigration (DI&E) of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, “on the basis of reciprocity”, the citizens of Maldives, Singapore, and Seychelles are exempt from the requirement of securing an ETA to visit Sri Lanka.
Points to note
· 30-days’ ETA is usually granted with double-entry facility
· Date of initial arrival in Sri Lanka is within the allotted 30 days
· Double entries might be made from the date of initial arrival
· The balance days of the allotted 30 days (of the initial entry) will be for the second visit to the country
· Initially the ETA is limited to 30 days validity (from the date of arrival), might be extended for up to six months
Visit categories and types of ETAs issued
ETA for Tourist purpose with double entry for 30 (thirty) days
– Visiting relatives
– Visiting friends
– Medical treatment
– Participating in sporting events and competitions
– Taking part in activities related to cultural performance
ETA for Business purposes with double entry for 30 (thirty) days
– Participating in business meetings
– Taking part in business negotiations
– Participating in conferences, workshops etc.
– Take part in short term training program (less than a month in duration)
Business ETA might be for single entry, double, or multiple entries.
ETA for Transit (up to 2 days)
For transiting through Sri Lanka while on the way to another destination.
A foreign national intending to visit Sri Lanka for the purposes other than a short visit must obtain a relevant Sri Lanka visa prior to their arrival.
The application for the ETA can be done online on the official website or other websites that work in partnership with the Sri Lankan government. You should apply for the ETA at least 90 days before your scheduled date of travel. So, you must apply for the ETA three months before your trip.
The application process involves filling out a form and paying service and government fees. In fact, the application process takes a few minutes and your visa will be processed in 24 hours. The fees however depend on the type of visa.
Requirements for the ETA:
- A scanned passport
- Valid e-mail address
- Approved means of payment
The validity of ETA:
The two types of ETA are ‘short stay’ and the ‘transit’ ETA.
With the ‘short stay’ ETA you can travel to Sri Lanka for a vacation or business purpose which is valid for 30 days from the date of arrival.
The ‘transit’ ETA is valid for two days from the date of arrival. This visa is mandatory even if you are passing through the country on a cruise ship. But there are no charges for the ‘transit’ ETA.
For the processing time of your Sri Lanka ETA, you have three options:
- Standard processing – Your ETA application will be processed within 1 Business Day, and the price is USD 40.00 (service fees included).
- Rush processing – You will receive your ETA within 4 hours, and the cost is USD 70.00 (service fees included).
- Super rush processing – This is the fastest option. You will get your ETA in 30 minutes, and the charges are USD 85.00 (service fees included).
How Y-Axis Can Help You?
- Advise you on the required documentation
- Advise you on the funds that need to be shown
- Fill out the application forms
- Review your documents for the visa application
Why do I have to get an ETA for Sri Lanka?
For going to Sri Lanka on a short visit, travelers are required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization [with effect from January 1, 2012].
However, citizens of certain countries – Singapore, Seychelles, and Maldives – are exempt, on the basis of reciprocity, from the requirement to get an ETA for visiting Sri Lanka.
What are the purposes for which I can get an ETA for Sri Lanka?
An individual intending to visit Sri Lanka for a short period – for the purposes of business or tourism or for transiting through the country – will have to obtain a prior approval for an ETA for Sri Lanka before their arrival in the country.
What are the types of Sri Lanka ETA available?
The types of ETA available for Sri Lanka are –
- ETA for Tourist purpose [with double entry for 30 days]
- ETA for Business purpose [with double entry for 30 days]
- ETA for Transit [up to 2 days]
Can I extend my Sri Lanka tourist visa?
Any bona fide tourist entering Sri Lanka within the stipulated period on the landing permit granted by the Immigration officials at the port of entry into the country can apply for a visa extension. The application for the extension has to be made before the expiry of their Sri Lanka tourist visa.
2 month’s extension – beyond the initially allotted 30 days – might be granted, provided there are valid reasons for seeking the visa extension.
What can I do in Sri Lanka on my ETA for Tourist purpose?
A Sri Lankan ETA for Tourist purposes can be used for engaging in the following activities while in Sri Lanka –
- Holidaying or sightseeing
- Medical treatment [including yoga and ayurvedic treatments]
- Participation in sporting events and competitions
- Taking part in activities related to cultural performance
What can I do in Sri Lanka on my ETA for Business purpose?
A Sri Lankan ETA for Business purpose can be used for engaging in the following activities while in Sri Lanka –
- Attending business meetings or negotiations
- Taking part in workshops, seminars or conferences
- Taking part in short-term training programs that are less than 1 month in duration
- Taking part in music, art, and dance events
- Participating in religious events
- Taking part in symposium
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.