Sweden Student Visa
Sweden has always opened its doors to international students from around the world. The degrees offered by the universities in Sweden are comparable to some of the best universities in Europe.
Like most European countries Sweden also follows the Bologna system of education. This ensures the desired educational standards for academic degrees and their quality assurance. This agreement between European nations makes university degree compatible all over Europe and on an international level as well.
Language Requirement to study in Sweden
Though international students can enroll for courses taught in English, it is beneficial if they learn the Swedish language. This will help them communicate with the local community and get familiar with the local culture.
Study programs in English are available for postgraduate and PhD courses. English language test scores accepted by universities in Sweden:
Student accommodation and living costs
Accommodation costs like rental rates are higher in bigger cities than in smaller cities. When choosing to study here students must consider living costs that include food, transportation, and social activities. These costs will come up to approximately 750 Euros including rent.
Student visa requirements
Non-EU nationals require a student visa to study here. There are two types of student visas in Sweden based on the duration of the study program:
- Visa type C: Short-stay visa or travel visa valid for a period not exceeding 90 days
- Visa type D: This is also called the ‘residence permit for studies’ and is given for study programs that are more than six months long.
Documents required for Sweden student visa application:
- Valid passport
- Completed visa application form
- Proof of having the required financial resources to cover your living expenses during your course of study which includes bank statements
- Copy of medical insurance policy even if the university or college offers the insurance cover
- Certificate of acceptance from the educational institution in Sweden
Working while you study in Sweden
Students from non-EU countries can work here during their course if they have a work permit. This requires a job offer from the Swedish employer. The employer can apply for the permit on your behalf at the Swedish Migration Agency.
How can Y-Axis help you?
- Provide guidance on the required documentation
- Advice on the funds that need to be shown
- Help in filling out the application forms
- Help in reviewing your documents for the visa application
Do I need a residence permit for study in Sweden?
If you are not an EU citizen and will be studying in Sweden beyond 90 days, you will need a residence permit. Do note that you must have a residence permit issued to you before your arrival in Sweden.
What is the processing time for residence permit for study in Sweden?
Most of the applications are processed within 1-2 months.
Can I take my family along when I go to Sweden for study?
A family member of someone with a residence permit for higher studies in Sweden can get a residence permit for the same duration.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.