Spain Student Visa
Spain has for many years been considered by international students as an ideal study abroad destination. Spain has several popular colleges and universities and offers many choices for international students.
If you are from a non-EU nation you will need to apply for a student visa if you wish to study in Spain. You can apply for a visa after you have received the letter of confirmation from the university that you have been selected for.
Language requirements to study in Spain
Though international students can enroll for courses taught in English, it is beneficial if they learn the Spanish language. Spanish is not required for admission to universities in the country.
But most universities that have programs in the Spanish language require applicants to have a good command of the language. They need to have passed the Spanish language test. The main Spanish test accepted is the DELE test (Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera).
If you have decided to pursue a course in the English medium, you must show your proficiency in the language by passing any of these tests: IELTS or Cambridge Advanced
Student visa for Spain
The visa you will have to apply for will be based on the duration of your course. The details are as explained below:
- 180-days D type visa – if duration of course is between three and six months
- Student visa (type D) – if duration of course is more than six months
The Type D visa makes you eligible for the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE). This is a temporary permit which allows you to stay in the country for the duration of your course. The validity of TIE is for a maximum of one academic year and you can renew it every year till you finish your studies.
You cannot apply for a student visa when you are in the country on a short stay visa. You can apply for the visa only from your home country.
After you arrive in Spain on a student visa, you cannot change the type of visa. The visa is valid only if you have obtained it from a Spanish embassy or consulate.
Documents required for Spain student visa application:
- Completed visa application form
- Passport which is valid for the intended period of your stay
- 2 passport size photos
- Certificate of acceptance from the Spanish university
- Information about the study program such as the name of the degree and hours of study per week
- Health insurance valid for the whole period of your studies
- Proof of having the required financial resources to cover your living expenses during your course of study
- Medical certificate
- Proof of having paid the visa application fees
- Criminal record certificate to prove you have no cases
Working while you study
Students from non-EU countries can work part-time during their course and full-time during vacations.
Non-EU/EEA students must meet the following requirements in order to work in Spain:
- Apply for a work permit (the employer should make the application).
- Have a secondary source of financial support (the part-time work income should only be complementary).
- Keep in mind that you can only work full-time for three months at a time (and not during university term time, when you are supposed to be studying).
How can Y-Axis help you?
- Provide guidance on the required documentation
- Advice on the funds that need to be shown
- Help in filling out the application forms
- Help in reviewing your documents for the visa application
Which visa do I need to study in Spain?
A student from India will require the Type D student visa for studying in Spain.
What is the ideal time to apply for my Spain student visa?
Apply well in advance. Ideally, you should aim at applying at least 3 months before your study program commences in Spain.
What is the basic step-wise process for applying for Spanish student visa?
STEP 1: Download the National Visa Application Form.
STEP 2: Complete the National Visa Application Form.
STEP 3: Gather the required documents.
STEP 4: Submit the application with the documents at the Embassy of Spain in New Delhi.
Do I have to attend interview for student visa to Spain?
Yes. You will have to appear for a visa interview.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.