How can Canadian Permanent Residents sponsor their family?
Posted on November 20, 2018
Family reunification is one of the prime reasons why aspiring Immigrants choose Canada. Canadian Permanent Residents can help their family members become permanent residents in the country.
Family reunification can be achieved under the Family Class Sponsorship Program. It reunites families by allowing Canadian Permanent Residents to sponsor a relative for Immigration. The person seeking sponsorship should be –
- Spouse, conjugal or common-law partner
- Dependent child
- Sibling, nephew, niece, or grandchild whose parents are deceased. They must be under 18 years and unmarried
Eligibility criteria for the Sponsor
- A sponsor must be over the age of 18
- A sponsor must reside in Canada
Canadian Permanent Residents may not be able to sponsor if they:
- Are in prison
- Are in the process of bankruptcy
- Receive social assistance from the government
- Have been convicted of, attempted to commit an offence of a violent or sexual nature
- Have failed to pay back immigration loans, or have made late or missed payments
- Were themselves sponsored
- Became a Canadian Permanent Resident less than 5 years ago
Eligibility criteria for Spouse/Partner to be sponsored:
- Spouse: should be legally married to the sponsor in the country of origin
- Common-law partner: minimum 12 months of cohabitation with the sponsor
- Conjugal partner: Conjugal relationship for at least 12 months. The couple could be prevented from living together in the country of origin
- Same-sex relationships: it is valid for Same-sex partners to apply for Immigration under this category
Eligibility criteria for Dependent Child to be sponsored:
- A child of the sponsor
- A child of the sponsor’s spouse
- They are under age 22
- They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner of their own
- Children over age 22 can be dependents if they were dependent on their parents before age 22. Also, if they are still unable to support themselves due to a mental or physical condition
As reported by Jamaica Observer, for Spouse or partner, the sponsorship fee could be approximately $1040. For a dependent child, it is about $150. For any other relative, it should be $640 or more.
The sponsor should financially support their family member until they themselves can. For Spouse or partner, it is minimum 3 years. For a dependent child, it is either 10 years or until they reach age 22. For parent or grandparent, it is 20 years.
Y-Axis offers a wide range of visa and immigration services as well as products to overseas immigrants including Business Visa for Canada, Work Visa for Canada, Canada Migrant Ready Professional Services for Express Entry Full Service, Canada Migrant Ready Professional Services for Express Entry PR Application, Canada Migrant Ready Professional Services for Provinces, and Education Credential Assessment. We work with Regulated Immigration Consultants in Canada.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…