UK student visa

Sign up for free

expert consultation

Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do?

Get Free Counseling

Posted on January 05 2016

Students planning on studying in Australia in 2016 urged to check out visa options

By  Editor
Updated April 03 2023

International students who are looking to study in Australia in 2016 are being urged to check their visa options early so that they can apply for the right one.

There are various visas for studying in Australia which depend on the type of study chosen, ranging from universities to higher education and training and sponsorship. The Department of Immigration is advising applicants to familiarise themselves with the options.

At a university level there is the Higher Education Sector Visa (subclass 573) and the Postgraduate Research Sector Visa (subclass 574). For those seeking to study a non-award foundation studies course or components of a course that does not lead to an award, then the Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575) is also available.

For those who intend to come to Australia to undertake English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), the Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570) provides this option.

Eligible student visa applicants from participating education providers may also be able to apply for Streamlined student visa processing.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) also points out that those who have finished their studies and want to work in Australia temporarily need to apply for another visa for which there are various options.

For example, the Post-Study Work stream offers extended options for working in Australia to eligible graduates with a higher education degree. Under this stream, successful applicants are granted a visa of two, three or four year’s duration, depending on the highest educational qualification they have obtained.

International students that are interested in vocational education and training courses can apply for the Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572) and for training and research opportunities which allow structured workplace-based training, students may be eligible for the Training and Research visa (subclass 402).

In some cases the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Department of Defence will sponsor students to study in Australia. Students participating in this arrangement may be eligible for the Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector visa (subclass 576).

In some cases it is possible for family members of a student visa holder to stay with them in Australia. Family members are subject to the same assessment level as the student, regardless of the type of passport thefamily member holds.

For more news and updates, assistance with your visa needs or for a Free Assessment of your profile for Immigration or Work Visa’s just visit



Options for you by Y-Axis

phone 1

Get it on your mobile


Get News alerts

contact 1

Contact Y-Axis

Latest Article

Popular Post

Trending Article

Most powerful passports

Posted On April 15 2024

Most powerful passports in the world: The Canada passport vs. The UK passports