A top job role that is steadily gaining importance is that of a data scientist. These are professionals who are responsible for the collection, analysis and interpretation of large amounts of data. The role of a data scientist combines the roles of a mathematician, scientist, computer professional and a statistician.
Data scientists straddle the worlds of both business and IT and possess unique skill sets. Their role has assumed significance thanks to how businesses today think of big data. Businesses want to make use of the unstructured data which can boost their revenue. Data scientists analyze this information to make sense of it and bring out business insights that will aid in the growth of the business.
However, data science is not a new field, it was existing earlier as business analytics or competitive intelligence. The main motive of data science is to extract relevant information and interpret it effectively and later present it in a simple way to end-users.
Companies are realizing the value of the data available with them and want to make good use of it. Therefore, they need data scientists.
Skills required for a data scientist
- Must be able to apply various techniques to extract data and provide useful insights that will help to solve business problems and challenges.
- Experience in data mining strategies such as pattern detection, graph analysis, statistical analysis etc.
- Ability to analyze data from various sources and discover hidden insights
- Convert the data into a useful form
- Research and present statistical methods to gain practical insights on the data
- Manage large amounts of data even with software, hardware and bandwidth limitations
- Experience in statistical research techniques
What does a data scientist do?
- Collects large amount of data and transforms it into an intelligent format
- Solve business related problems with data-driven methods
- Work with a variety of programming languages like Python, Spark, SAS etc.
- Uses analytical techniques such as machine learning, deep learning etc.
- Looks for patterns in the data and will be able to spot trends and insights using text learning methods to help the business.
Why do companies hire data scientists?
When companies must deal with huge amounts of data and have complex issues to solve daily, they hire data scientists. With the help of a data scientist they can make crucial business decisions based on the data they have.
Job opportunities for data scientists
Overseas work opportunities for data scientists exist in the US and Canada where they appear in the top ten jobs for 2020. The job of a Data scientist made it to the list of “50 best jobs in America” by Glassdoor four years running including 2019.
It also made it to the list in LinkedIn’s Emerging Jobs report for the US and Canada.
Data scientists will be in demand for a long time to come thanks to the increasing amount of data companies rely on to take business decisions.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
Choose the Right Overseas Career Choice of Data Scientist
Posted on January 8, 2020