India has the most number of people living abroad in the world. This has been confirmed by statistics from the UN Department of economic and social affairs.
Here’s how the Indian diaspora is spread across the continents in the world:
- Indians in Asia: Nepal houses the most number of Indians on the continent of Asia. At 4 million, Indians compose almost 14.7% of the Nepalese population. Following Nepal is Saudi Arabia with almost 3 million Indian They make up almost 9.8% of the Saudi Arabian population. Malaysia houses almost 2.4 million Indians which make up almost 8.7% of its population. Compared to these countries, Kuwait has 580,000 Indians. However, Indians make up almost one-fourth (21.6%) of the Kuwaiti population.
- Indians in Europe: The UK houses the most number of Indians in Europe with 1,451,862 Indians making up 2.3% of the population. Italy has about 150,000 Indians and the Netherlands has about 123,000.
- Indians in South America: Almost 43% of the population of Guyana comprise of Indians, as per NRIOL. 327,000 Indians live in the country. Suriname has 135,000 Indians comprising almost 27.4% of the population.
- Indians in North America/Caribbean: The USA has the most number of Indians on the North American continent. Almost 3,183,063 Indians call the US home comprising almost 1% of the population. Canada houses about 1,200,000 Indians which make up almost 3.54% of the Canadian population. Indians form almost 40.2% of the population of Trinidad and Tobago with 525,000 Indians living there.
- Indians in Africa: South Africa has the most number of Indians on the African continent. 1.3 million Indians live in South Africa comprising 2.7% of the population. Indians make up an astounding 68.3% of the population of Mauritius. 885,000 Indians live on the island country of Mauritius. There are 220,000 Indians in Reunion (France) making up 28% of its population.
- Indians in Oceania: More than 390,484 Indians have made Australia their home. Indians make up almost 2% of the Australian population. Fiji has about 340,000 Indians which makes up almost 40.1% of the Fijian population. New Zealand houses about 105,000 Indians comprising 2.6% of its population.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
Top US Universities with a large number of Indian Students