8 top reasons to work in Australia
Posted on August 22, 2019
Australia is the top destination for individuals who want to relocate to another country for work. Australia is a popular destination for many reasons. The country ranks among the top countries in the UN Human Development Index. Australia scores high on access to education, high life expectancy and socio-economic progress.
The country also ranks high in the Better Life Index 2017 released by Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). The OECD is a group of 34 member countries that develops economic and social policies. Australia scores high on all the variables that feature in the index- housing, income, jobs, community, education, environment, civic engagement, health, work-life balance, life satisfaction and safety.
On the job index of the OECD report, key features related to Australia are:
People wanting to migrate to another country for work gather information from relevant sources to find out if it will be worthwhile. They will consider factors such as quality of life or job satisfaction before making a decision. Australia presents a favorable picture which has encouraged people to seek a job here.
Top 8 reasons to work in Australia:
1. Thriving economy: The country has a thriving economy that has shown steady growth. It is the 13th largest economy in the world with the 10th highest per capita income. At 5% its unemployment rate is very low. The country provides the highest minimum wages even for casual workers.
There is a constant need for people with specialization and skills and the growing economy provides enough job opportunities.
2. Numerous visa options: Australia offers numerous visa options for workers. The government issues visas to workers based on their qualifications or the skillsets that they have. There are visas for temporary or permanent employment and visas sponsored by employers.
The visa approval takes about 18 months which is quick compared to other countries.
3. SkillSelect program: To give opportunities to job seekers with specialized skills, the Australian government created the General Skilled Migration (SkillSelect) program in 2013. There are five visa subclasses under this program.
Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190)
Graduate Temporary visa (Subclass 485)
Skilled Regional visa (Subclass 887)
Applicants to this program are assessed on a points-based system and can qualify for a visa only if they have the required points. The government regularly updates the list of occupations. You can access their site to find out which skills are in demand.
Check out the SkillSelect program and register for the program to be considered for a visa. Your details will be recorded in the Skillselect Database. Employers, national and regional governments access this database to find people who can fill their vacancies under the sponsored visa category. If you qualify you will be asked to apply for a skilled visa by the Australian government.
4. Recognition of your qualifications: Australian companies value overseas work experience because they believe it brings a fresh perspective to the workplace. Companies here recognize several professional qualifications. If you have these qualifications, you have greater chances to qualify for the SkillSelect program.
5. Pension benefits: Migrants working and living in Australia are entitled to some pension benefits. If you want to get these benefits you must meet the age and residency requirements. Individuals working in Australia have the benefit of a retirement savings account called the Superannuation Fund.
6. Quality of life: Australia offers a better quality of life. Citizens can avail of an efficient healthcare system and a social support system. Apart from this, the population density is very less even in the big cities. At 6.4 people per square mile, it stands third among countries with the least density of people.
Australia has a multicultural society with people from different parts of the world coming and settling here. In fact, 43% of Australians have parents of overseas origin or were born overseas.
The pollution-free air and the temperate climate and the natural ecosystems here make it an ideal place to settle down.
7. Safe environment: The country has one of the lowest crime rates and an efficient police force. This means a safe and secure environment where you can stay without any worries.
8. Opportunities for study: In case you want to improve your educational qualifications, the country offers more than 20,00 courses of study and has over 1,200 educational institutions.
Getting a job in Australia:
You can access online job databases and job websites to search for a job in Australia. Look up the Skilled Occupations page of the Australian government that is regularly updated. You can know what professions are in demand in the labor market. Job Services Australia is another government initiative to help jobseekers.
Australia is a popular destination for jobseekers who want to migrate to another country. The country has favorable features that make it a desirable destination for individuals to make a career. If you too are planning to work in Australia get in touch with an immigration consultant who will not only help you in processing your work visa but will provide services that will help you land a job, there.