Job trends – Canada – Finance officers
Posted on November 17, 2020
Finance officers maintain account books, verify financial transactions and do bookkeeping functions. They are employed both in public and private sector companies.
Finance officer-NOC 1311
Median wage per hour
All jobs available in the labour market in Canada are classified as per the National Classification Code (NOC). Each of the occupation groups has a unique NOC code assigned.
In Canada, an individual working in an occupation with NOC 1311 can expect to earn somewhere between CAD 15.00/hour and CAD 35.90/hour.
The median wage for this profession is approximately CAD 23.00 per hour and the maximum median wage for this profession is in the Canadian province of Nunavut which is CAD 51.21 per hour.
Prevailing Hourly wages for NOC 1311 in Canada
|Newfoundland and Labrador||15.00||23.00||35.90|
|Prince Edward Island||14.00||19.23||28.21|
Skills/Knowledge required for NOC 1311 in Canada
Generally, the following skills and knowledge will be required for working in Canada as a civil engineer –
|Expertise||· Prepare tax returns
· Keeping financial records
· Establishing, maintaining and balancing various accounts, using computerized and manual bookkeeping systems
· Preparing statistical, accounting, and financial reports
· Posting journal entries
· Reconciling accounts
· Calculation of fixed assets and depreciation
· Preparing trial balance of books
· Calculation and preparation of cheques for payroll
· Maintenance of general ledgers and financial statements
|Essential skills||· Reading
· Document use
· Oral communication
· Digital technology
|Other essential skills||· Working with others
· Continuous learning
3-year job prospect-The job prospect in the next three years for this profession is good in most provinces of Canada.
Future job prospects for NOC 1311 in Canada, by province and territory.
|Job prospects||Location in Canada|
|Good||· British Columbia
· New Brunswick
· Newfoundland and Labrador
· Northwest Territories
· Nova Scotia
· Prince Edward Island
For this profession, 10% of the openings will remain vacant in the next ten years due to skill shortage.
- Completion of secondary school education is compulsory
- Completion of a college program in accounting, bookkeeping or a related field or Completion of two years of any recognized professional accounting program or completion of courses in accounting or bookkeeping combined with work experience
Number of vacancies- There are over 1,000 job openings for finance officers in Canada at present.
- Calculate and prepare payroll cheques
- Reconcile accounts
- Post entries to the journal
- Maintain financial records and general ledgers
- Prepare books for trial balance
- Calculate depreciation and fixed assets
- Prepare reports on statistics, finance and accounting
- Arrange for tax returns
- Using manual and computerized bookkeeping systems to maintain financial records and develop, maintain and balance different accounts
Individuals with their occupation code as NOC 1311 can also acquire Canada PR through the Provincial Nominee Program [PNP]. Each of the PNP streams has its own specific requirements.
An IRCC Express Entry candidate that is able to secure a PNP nomination is guaranteed an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Do you want to explore other Job Trends in Canada?
Here is a ready list for you.