Retail sales supervisors supervise workers such as:
- Retail salespersons
- Store shelf stockers
- Clerks and order fillers
- Other sales related occupations
They are hired by stores and other retail businesses, wholesale businesses, rental service establishments and businesses involved in telemarketing.
Job prospects for sales supervisors in Canada
Sales Supervisor -NOC 6211
All jobs available in the labour market in Canada are classified as per the National Classification Code (NOC). Each of the occupation groups has a unique 4-digit NOC code assigned.
In Canada, an individual working in an occupation with NOC 6211 can expect to earn somewhere between CAD 13.75/hour and CAD 30.00/hour.
The median or average wage for this profession is CAD 18.56 dollars per hour and the maximum wages for this profession is in the Canadian province of British Columbia where the median wage is CAD 20.76 per hour.
|Prevailing Hourly wages for NOC 6211 in Canada|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||12.50||16.92||26.67|
|Prince Edward Island||13.00||16.00||25.97|
Skills/Knowledge required for NOC 6211 in Canada
Generally, the following skills and knowledge will be required for working in Canada as a retail sales supervisor –
|Skills||Management||· Coordinating and organizing
· Recruiting and hiring
|· Promoting and selling
· Teaching and training
|Information handling||Processing information|
|Knowledge||Business, finance and management||· Client service
|Essential skills||· Reading
· Document use
· Oral communication
· Digital technology
|Other essential skills||· Working with others
· Continuous learning
3-year job prospect-The job prospect in the next three years for retail sales supervisors is good in most provinces of Canada.
Future job prospects for NOC 6211 in Canada, by province and territory.
|Job prospects||Location in Canada|
|Good||· British Columbia
· New Brunswick
· Northwest Territories
· Nova Scotia
· Newfoundland and Labrador
· Prince Edward Island
For sales supervisors, new job openings over the period between 2019-2028 is expected to be 78,600, while 83,400 new job seekers will be available to fill them.
Job openings and job seekers are expected to be at relatively similar levels over the next few years and the balance between labor supply and demand is expected to continue till 2028.
- Completion of secondary school education is required.
- Previous retail sales experience as a retail salesperson or sales clerk, cashier, telemarketer, door-to-door salesperson or rental agent is necessary.
Sales supervisors require a certification from a regulatory authority before they start working in Quebec. The details are as per the table below:
|Location||Job title||Regulation||Regulatory body|
|Québec||Supervisor (retail)||Regulated||Emploi Québec|
Responsibilities of a sales supervisor
- Supervising and managing the employees of distribution and cashiers
- Assigning assignments to sales staff and planning work schedules
- Authorize purchases and merchandise returns
- Solve problems that can occur, including demands from consumers, concerns and shortages of supply
- Maintain specific inventory and order merchandise
- Preparation of information on sales amounts, merchandising and staffing problems
- If appropriate, they can perform key holding and management tasks, such as opening and closing the shop, handling escalated complaints, designing and implementing marketing strategies, and signing deliveries.
Permanent residence in Canada can be acquired through — the Provincial Nominee Program [PNP], the Express Entry system, the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot [RNIP], the Atlantic Immigration Pilot [AIP], Agri-Food Pilot [AFP], Quebec-selected skilled workers, Family sponsorship, the Start-Up visa, Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident pathway etc.
Do you want to explore other Job Trends in Canada?
Here is a ready list for you.