Quebec’s Arrima portal makes it easy to move to Canada
Posted on March 13, 2020
In order to simplify the application process for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSW) and provide a level playing field for all foreign nationals, Quebec’s immigration system introduced Arrima. This is a portal designed to manage Quebec’s Expression of Interest (EOI) system that has replaced its previous first-come first-served intake model.
Anyone who is interested in migrating to Quebec under the QSW program can use the Arrima portal. They can file their EOI through the portal. If you meet the needs of the province’s labor market, you will be issued an Invitation to Apply or ITA. Your application will then be evaluated based on criteria described in the selection grid.
Like the Express Entry System, applicants are awarded points if they fulfil the various criteria under the selection grid, this includes:
- Level of education or professional training
- Work experience
- Your proficiency in French and English
- Your previous visits and short-term stays in Quebec
- Number of children under the age of 22 who will be accompanying you to Quebec
- Your financial assets and ability to support yourself and your family for the first three months after your arrival
- Your relationship with Canadian citizens or permanent residents existing in Quebec
- If you have a spouse coming with you to Quebec, then they will be evaluated based on factors such as age, education, and language proficiency which can add to your score
- Validated job offer or an offer of employment form a Quebec employer
The points you score in the selection grid will indicate your eligibility for immigration to Quebec. If you score the required points and meet the needs of the province’s labor market, you will be issued an Invitation to Apply or ITA through the Arrima portal. The priority order for sending the ITAs are:
- Immigration candidates who applied for a Quebec Selection Certificate before August 2, 2018
- Individuals with a validated job offer from a Quebec employer
You will then have to submit your application for the Quebec selection certificate within 60 days of receiving the ITA. Once you receive your certificate you can apply for your PR visa.
Validated job offer makes a difference:
With the introduction of the Arrima portal, the Quebec immigration system now gets hundreds of applications every day. Anyone can submit an EOI to migrate to Quebec through the portal to try their chance.
However, you will greatly improve your chances of getting an ITA if you have a validated job offer. If you have a job offer from a Quebec employer, you will have a significant addition to the number of points in your application. The job offer must be validated by the Quebec Ministère d’immigration, francisation et intégration (MIFI).
The location of the job will determine the number of points you can score. A job offer located in the Région métropolitaine de Montréal (RMM), that includes the Montreal and surrounding regions will give you 8 points. If the job offer is outside the RMM you will get 14 additional points.
The introduction of the Arrima portal has no doubt simplified the application process for the QSW program of the Quebec province. But on the flipside, it has increased the number of applications. This makes it even more important for you to try and score more points to get your ITA and successfully migrate to Canada.