Know all about working in Australia
Posted on October 6, 2018
Do you aspire to work in Australia? Why not? After all, it is a wonderful place with great job opportunities and quality of life. Australia’s unsullied nature, vibrant cities, a high employment rate, and many more aspects attract a lot of immigrants every year.
What Visa do I need to Work in Australia?
To work in Australia either temporarily or permanently, you would need the appropriate Visa with proper work authorization, as per The Australian. They may be majorly divided into two categories:
- Skilled Migration Visas: These Visas lead to Permanent Residency in Australia and allow you to live, work and study in Australia permanently. These Visas also accord you most of the rights and privileges of Australian citizens.
- Sponsored/Nominated Work Visas: This is for applicants who have been sponsored by an Australian employer or have been nominated by a State or Territory in Australia.
There are other Visas too, that may allow you to work in Australia like the Working Holiday Visa, Skill-Recognized Graduate Visa, and the Temporary Graduate Visa.
If you hold a passport from an “eligible country”, then you can submit application for a Working Holiday Visa which will permit you to holiday and work in Australia for up to 1 year. The Skill-Recognized Graduate Visa allows recent engineering graduates from recognized institutes to work in Australia for up to 18 months.
The Temporary Graduate Visa is for international graduates who have completed their studies from an Australian institution. There are two streams under this Visa- the Graduate Stream and the Post-Study Work Stream. The Graduate Stream allows you to work in Australia for up to 18 months. The Post-Study Work Stream may allow you to work in Australia from 2 to 4 years.
You would need to obtain the appropriate Visa before you can work in Australia.
What are the eligibility requirements for working in Australia?
The requirements would totally depend on the type of Visa that you are applying for. However, a few general requirements are as follows:
- You need to provide evidence of English language proficiency like an IELTS, PTE or TOEFL scorecard
- Your nominated occupation should be listed on the Skilled Occupation List of Australia
- Your education and work experience match the requirements of your nominated occupation
- Your skills have to be assessed by the relevant Skill Assessment authority in Australia
- You need to meet the health and character requirement
- You need to meet all the requirements of the Visa type that you are applying for. For example, Skilled Migration Visas are point based. You need to score 65 points on age, education, work experience, and English proficiency to meet the eligibility criteria.
How to apply?
The application procedure would depend on the kind of Visa that you are applying for. For the Skilled Migration Visa, you would need to submit an online Expression of Interest in Skill Select. However, prior to doing so, you should have completed your Skill Assessment through the relevant authorities for your nominated occupation. You should also have a language proficiency scorecard with the required scores.
For Sponsored Visas, your employer in Australia needs to be an approved sponsor. The employer needs to lodge an application to sponsor or nominate you. You may apply for your Work Visa once the employer receives an approval for his application.
What is the processing time for a Work Visa?
Different categories of Visas have different processing times. For example, the Skilled Migration Visas take anywhere between 6 to 12 months to be processed. The Employer-sponsored Work Visas take anywhere between 2 to 3 months to be processed.
What is the cost of a Work Visa?
The Visa fee depends on the type of Visa that you are applying for. The Visa fees get updated from time to time and hence the current Visa fee may be different from the fee when you apply. The current Visa fee for the Primary applicant for the Subclass 189 (Skilled Independent Migration Visa) is AUD 1835. The current Visa fee for the Temporary Skilled Shortage Visa (Subclass 482) is approximately AUD 1175 for the primary applicant.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…