The recent census on the trends of receiving Canadian citizenship for foreign immigrants is provided by Statistics Canada.
Based on the 2021 census, of a total of 33.1 million population in Canada, most of the citizens (91.2%) either by naturalization process or by birth. The remaining 8.8% of people in Canada were non-Canadian, let them be Temporary or Permanent residents.
The naturalization process is that non-Canada resident in Canada becomes eligible and gets a legal status of a citizen which is a path to obtaining citizenship for immigrants.
The percentage of the Canadian people who are citizens by birth in Canada has decreased since 1991, whereas the percentage of Citizens by naturalization in Canada, and who are not citizens in Canada has been increasing.
*Check your eligibility criteria for Canada through Canada Y-Axis Score Calculator.
Based on the 2021 census, every four out of five 80% of the qualified and eligible immigrants obtained Canadian citizenship using naturalization. But compared to 2011 the rate of naturalization is less, it was 87.8% in 2011.
The decrease in the naturalization rate is one of the main reasons for the Canadian government to ease the immigration policies and also there were exaggerations in terms of policy changes in Canada which conclude that Canada has moved to its correct form.
*Need assistance to apply for Canadian PR visa? Then get professional guidance from Y-Axis Canada overseas immigration expert
*Do you want work in Canada? Speak to Y-Axis overseas Canada immigration career consultant for guidance.
Canadian Citizenship – the natural move
Although there was a decline in the rate of naturalization in the last 10 years, similarly there is a steady increase in the country where people are showing more interest in pursuing citizenship.
The immigrants who came to Canada before 2001, have received 94% Canadian citizenship by 2021. Whereas the immigrants who came to Canada between 2011 – 2015 more than 50% of people received citizenship in Canada.
The key finding in these statistics is there is a natural process that will either help you in gaining Canadian citizenship as soon as you are found eligible for it or sometimes when time passes by, can receive Canadian citizenship.
The median age of Canadian citizens living in the country is 41.2 years, and the median age of non-Canadian citizens (either TR or PR) living in the country is 33.6 years.
At present Canada is in a crucial stage due to the low birth rate, and aging of the population, Canada has to choose another option for addressing the workforce shortages and the market needs using immigration.
Hence, immigrants who possess prime working age can have options of becoming permanent residents and citizens is one of the key elements of Canada’s growth in socio-economic ways.
Apart from this, there is an increase in the number of non-PRs who were French and have been meeting the policies of both the Federal and Quebec governments, hence government plans to increase immigration allocations for Francophone and across Canada.
Immigration stays one of the key concerns for Canada, the declining rate of naturalization will become the focal point for the IRCC and the Federal government hereafter. Especially the median age of non-Canadians who are within the prime working ages. Canada has already paved ways to increase the rates of immigration with the new Immigration Levels plan.
Do you have a dream to migrate to Canada? Talk to World’s no.1 Y-Axis Canada overseas migration consultant.