UK student visa

Sign up for free

expert consultation

Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do?

Get Free Counseling

Posted on February 08 2024

How many times can I use H1B grace period?

By  Editor
Updated February 09 2024

H-1B Grace Period in the United States

Non-immigrant workers who have their employment terminated voluntarily or involuntarily have alternate options for staying in the country based on the current rules and regulations.


According to the regulations that allow for a discretionary grace period will permit workers in the E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B, H-1B1, L-1, O-1, or TN categories (including dependents) to keep their status after termination of employment for a maximum of 60 days or until the end of the permitted validity period or whichever is shorter.  


The employee may maintain their non-immigrant status throughout this period, if a new employer timely files a petition request for an extension of stay on the employee's behalf.


Candidates are entitled to the maximum 60-day grace period once during each valid employer petition validity period. In case of termination from employer, then USCIS may favorably apply its discretion in granting grace period and consider you to have maintained status for a maximum of 60 days.


Furthermore, they will qualified for an additional 60-day maximum grace period during the petition validity period with Employer B after receiving a new employer petition approval with a new validity period.


*Want to apply for H-1B visa? Y-Axis is here to help you.


Tips for foreign workers in the United States

  • It is crucial to be precise when scheduling your 60 day grace period after the last day of employment.
  • Each new I-94 that you obtain presents an opportunity for an additional 60-day grace period. This means that if a worker receives a fresh H-1B approval subsequent to their initial layoff, they may be eligible for an extended grace period beyond the initial 60 days.
  • Taking action to maintain legal status is crucial whether applying for a new H-1B with a different employer, tourist (B-1/B-2), or a change of status to a student (F-1).
  • While your B-1/B-2 visa application is being processed, you can request a change of status to H-1B if you are unable to find a new H-1B sponsor immediately. The B-1/B2 will also be immediately settled by USCIS when the new employer submits another H-1B application.
  • You can start your own companies and have sponsored your own H-1B visas in case you cannot find a new employer within the grace period or the time while the B-1/B-2 visa is pending.
  • Individuals with STEM degrees obtaining a green card under the EB-1 or National Interest Waiver categories could offer a pathway to long-term residency and employment stability in the United States.


Planning for US Immigration? Get expert guidance from Y-Axis.


Immigration Updates

US Visa Updates

US H-1B visa

H-1B visa

Overseas Immigration Updates

US Immigration

US Immigration Updates

Work in US

US Work Visa

Migrate overseas


Options for you by Y-Axis

phone 1

Get it on your mobile


Get News alerts

contact 1

Contact Y-Axis

Latest Article

Popular Post

Trending Article

Steps to replace a stolen, lost or destroyed Canadian immigration document

Posted On February 21 2024

How do I replace a lost, stolen or destroyed Canadian immigration document?