The United Arab Emirates or the UAE which consists of Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Sharjah, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al Quwain has always been a favorite of those looking for an overseas job. The country’s rapid growth in recent years has increased the opportunities to make a career here. Most of the job opportunities here are found in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
In order to get a work permit to work in the UAE you must first get a job. Your employer sponsors your work permit. This work permit is valid for two months and allows you to enter the country.
Once you enter the UAE on this work permit, the sponsoring employer will help you complete the formalities for medical testing, obtain your UAE Resident Identity (Emirates ID) Card, Labor Card and get the work residency permit stamped on your passport within 60 days.
Before you get your work permit, there are certain eligibility requirements that you and your employer must fulfil. These include:
- You must be 18 years or older
- Your employer’s company license must be valid
- Your employer must not have committed any breaches
- The job you do must be in line with the nature of the business of your employer
Apart from this, foreign workers are divided into three categories based on their qualifications or skills:
- Category 1: those with a bachelor’s degree
- Category 2: those with a post-secondary diploma in any field
- Category 3: those with a high school diploma
Documents required for UAE work permit
- Your original passport and its copy
- Your passport-size picture, in line with UAE requirements
- Authorization document of your qualifications by the UAE Embassy or consulate in your country as well as from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country.
- Medical certificate, issued by a government-approved health center in the UAE.
- Commercial license or the company card of the company that is hiring you
Once you submit your application, the government takes about 5 working days to grant the work permit.
The work permit is issued with the Labor Card and the Residence Visa. The Residence Visa allows you to stay and work lawfully in the UAE. UAE Residence Visas are issued for 1, 2, or 3 years, depending on the purpose of travel and the discretion of the UAE agencies. The Residence Visa allows you to bring your family members to the UAE.
Renewal of Work Visa
Your sponsor will need to renew your UAE Work Visa within 30 days before its expiry date.
The UAE Work Visa renewal process is similar to when you first received your visa: your sponsor must apply in the appropriate emirate at the General Directorate for Residency and Foreign Affairs.