UK student visa

Sign up for free

expert consultation

Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do?

Get Free Counseling

Posted on April 01 2013

Apply H1B Visa Documents CheckList ? Cost ? What NOT to give ?

By  Editor
Updated March 27 2024

Very important. What you should NOT give to H1B sponsoring company? You should NEVER give original documents of mark sheets, passport or any other documents to anyone.


Most of the times, USCIS will not ask for originals. If you give the originals, you are stuck with the employer who filed. DO NOT give any originals


WHAT IS THE H-1B VISA CATEGORY? The H-1B visa category, you may qualify if you have a job offer and possess the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree. An H-1B petition is approved initially for a maximum of three years, and status can be extended multiple times (even through multiple employers) for a maximum total of six years. The status may be extended beyond six years in certain circumstances, i.e., if an application for labor certification (PERM) has been filed with the Department of Labor at least one year prior to completing six years in H-1B status, or if there is an approved I-140 immigrant petition in the EB-1 to EB-3 categories prior to completion of six years in H-1B status. The six year clock in H-1B status can be suspended by travel abroad while in H-1B status, and thus time spent abroad will not be counted as part of the six year total. Citizens of Chile and Singapore have the option of filing an H-1B1 petition (as opposed to an H-1B petition).


DOCUMENT CHECKLIST TO FILE H-1B PETITION THROUGH OUR LAW FIRM? In order to properly prepare and file the Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (H-1B /H-1B1) with the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services "USCIS" we require the following information and documents. The information required about the employer and the beneficiary is listed separately.

Information about the employer

1. Name of the Company

2. Address

3. Phone number

4. Federal Tax ID (EIN#)

5. Year of establishment

6. Current number of employees

7. Gross annual revenue/sales, or budget (for non-profit organizations), for the most recent year (approximate figure)

8. Name and title and email address of the person who will sign the petition on behalf of the company

9. Job Title offered along with description of job duties or responsibilities

10. Salary offered

11. Brochure or website or brief description about the company .

If the employer is a non-profit organization related to or affiliated to an institution of higher education, or a non-profit research organization, please enclose document verifying the same.


The checklist for candidates who are presently in the U.S. in nonimmigrant H-1B or L-1 or other nonimmigrant visa status except for F1 is as follows: (No Originals are required – Only Clear & Legible Copies are required)

1. Passport (biographic information pages and U.S. visa page)

2. Most recent I-94 (issued on arrival at the airport)

3. H-1B / L-1 or other nonimmigrant visa status Approval Notice(s)

4. Pay stubs for the last two months and latest Form W-2 if currently in visa status allowing employment

5. Degree Certificates, Transcripts, Diplomas & Credential Evaluations, if applicable

6. Address in the US

7. Telephone Number

8. Email Address

9. Permanent address abroad along with current residential address

10. Social Security Number, if available

11. Resume


The checklist for first time H-1B petitions for candidates who are presently on F-1 student status is as follows: (No Originals are required – Only Clear & Legible Copies are required)

1. Passport (biographic information pages and U.S. visa page)

2. Most recent I-94 (issued on arrival at the airport)

3. OPT Card (Front & Back) if applicable

4. All I-20's issued by the University

5. Degree Certificates, Transcripts, Diplomas & Credential Evaluations, if applicable

6. Address in the US

7. Telephone Number

8. Email Address

9. Permanent address abroad along with current residential address

10. Social Security Number, if available

11. Resume


The checklist for first time H-1B petitions for candidates who have a foreign degree and are presently outside the U.S.

1. Passport (biographic information pages)

2. Degree Certificates, Transcripts, Diplomas & Credential Evaluations, if applicable

3. Experience Letters from current and previous employers (the experience letter should be on company letterhead, dated and signed. The letter should specify dates of employment, job title and a brief description of job duties performed)

4. Email Address

5. Permanent address abroad

6. Resume



The American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998 ("ACWIA") raised U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) filing fees several fold. The regular USCIS filing fee is now $325, plus $500 for “antifraud” measures. The $500 applies only for the initial H-1B petition, and not for extensions of status by the same employer.


In addition, most employers are also subject to an additional $750 (if fewer than 26 employees) or $1500 (if 26 or more employees). Employers exempt from the $750 or $1500 are nonprofit research organizations or governmental research organizations, or institutions of higher education or non-profit organizations affiliated with or related to institutions of higher education, or primary or secondary education institutions.


The $750 or $1500 does not apply for the second H-1B extension through the same employer. Amended petitions do not require the additional fee unless the petition has the effect of extending nonimmigrant status. All filing fees are payable to the Department of Homeland Security and an unavoidable expense. Attorney fee is something that employer will incur and may be charged. It can be anywhere from $400 to $800. It all depends on the attorney. As an employee you should not pay any fee for H1B petition it is your prospective employers responsibility to pay for the expense for H1B filing…



Yes. Employers cannot require the H-1B nonimmigrant to reimburse or otherwise creatively compensate the employer for any part of the H-1B petition filing fee except for the $325 base filing fee, which can be paid by any party, including the beneficiary. Since the filing fee is solely the employer's burden, the USCIS will reject remittances (except the $325 base filing fee) from an H-1B beneficiary or the beneficiary's agent that accompanies the H-1B petition. A remittance from an attorney is normally accepted by the USCIS.



The American Competitiveness and Workforce Improvement Act of 1998 (ACWIA) was enacted to increase the cap on H-1B visas to 115,000 for fiscal years (October 1 to September 30) 1999 and 2000, and 107,500 for FY 2001. The quota returned to 65,000 in FY 2002 and thereafter, the same number that existed prior to passage of the ACWIA. As of 2011, the cap is still 65,000 visas. Caps are not applicable for current H-1B nonimmigrants filing for extensions of stay, amendments of terms of current employment, change of employers (i.e., sequential employment in H-1B visa status), and concurrent employment.


The same exemption from the visa cap applies to individuals being sponsored by a non-profit research organization or governmental research organization, or an institution of higher education or non-profit organizations affiliated with or related to institutions of higher education. For persons who have completed a U.S. master’s degree, there is an additional cap of 20,000 visas available on top of the regular 65,000 visa cap. The master’s degree does not have to relate to the job offered in the H-1B petition. It is acceptable as well if the job does not require a master's degree as the minimum qualification for the job as long as it is still a specialty occupation requiring the possession of at least a relevant bachelor's degree or U.S. equivalent to adequately perform the job. An individual whose H-1B petition was filed initially by a cap-exempt employer will be subject to the visa cap if changing employers and the new employer is not a cap-exempt organization. Citizens of Chile and Singapore are given preference within the visa cap.



You must be sponsored by a "U.S. employer." What if you are the employer in the form of a company that you establish? USCIS regulations define employer as "a person or entity...who engages the services or labor of an employee to be performed in the United States for wages or other remuneration." Since the H-1B petition must be approved prior to commencing employment, and it is difficult, although not impossible, for a "paper" company with zero employees and no income to be considered an employer capable of sponsoring an H-1B beneficiary, the dilemma to overcome is establishing a company with enough viability to be approved by the USCIS without technically being employed in the interim.


One way to remain within the law is to establish a company with the help of other investors. The most conservative position is to be only a "passive investor" as opposed to exercising substantial decision-making power in the company. An individual cannot be accused of being employed without authorization if he or she is only a passive investor in the company that will sponsor him or her for the H-1B visa.


To summarize, an individual cannot be "employed" in H-1B status until his or her employer petitions for and receives H-1B approval.



A change of status is obtained if the beneficiary is in the U.S., while a visa has to be obtained from outside the U.S. For example, an individual in F-1 (student) status can change status to H-1B upon approval of the H-1B petition filed by his or her employer. The individual may commence employment immediately (as per the terms of the approval notice) without having to leave the U.S. and being issued an H-1B visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. If the H-1B beneficiary travels abroad at some point, it is necessary to obtain an H-1B stamp (visa) in the passport from a U.S. Consulate abroad in order the re-enter the U.S. in H-1B status.


Conversely, an individual outside the U.S. can have an H-1B petition filed with the USCIS on his or her behalf by the employer and take the approval notice to the nearest U.S. Consulate having jurisdiction over his or her place of residence to be issued an H-1B visa stamp in order to enter the U.S. Upon entry, this individual will be in H-1B status.



An H-1B approval notice is valid only for one specific employer. If an individual wishes to work elsewhere, the new employer must file an H-1B petition with the USCIS as well. Under the portability rules of H-1B visa status, an individual currently in H-1B visa status can commence employment with the new H-1B employer upon the filing of an H-1B petition by the new employer requesting extension of H-1B status. There is no requirement to wait until approval of the petition prior to commencing employment with the new employer. If the USCIS has still not approved the H-1B petition filed by the new employer in 240 days, the beneficiary must suspend his employment with the new employer (although he or she can still remain legally in the U.S. based on pending H-1B petition) and then resume his or her employment with the new employer upon approval of H1B petition granting extension of H-1B status.



Yes, but all employers must have filed an H-1B petition for you. Generally a person has one full-time H-1B employer and one part-time H-1B employer if he or she is working for two employers concurrently, but nothing prevents an individual from working full-time for two or more employers. See our article on Concurrent Employment.



H-1B petitions are initially approved for three years and can be extended for another three years, for a maximum of 6 years. The clock starts ticking from the date of entry in the U.S. through H-1B visa, and not from the date of visa issuance. Moreover, it is based on time actually spent in the U.S. in H-1B status; it is not based on the validity of the visa. Therefore, if you spent time outside the U.S. during your six year stay, it is possible to "recapture" that time by extending the six year maximum. Please be prepared to provide evidence of periods of time spent outside the U.S. in H-1B status if you want to apply for an extension to get the benefit of time spent outside the U.S. Evidence of time spent abroad can include, but is not limited to, the following: copy of passport with entry/exit stamps; itinerary provided by airlines or travel agents; utility bills; financial transactions requiring physical presence; employment records or tax filings abroad; permits, licenses, or identification (such as driver's license) which are issued based on physical presence; letters or affidavits confirming your presence.


After the 6-year limit on an H-1B visa status is reached, an individual can leave the U.S. for one continuous year and re-enter on H-1B visa status. The one year abroad does not have to be in your home country or country of last residence, and very short visits to the U.S. do not break the continuity requirement. Alternatively, the status may be extended beyond six years in certain circumstances, i.e., if an application for labor certification (PERM) has been filed with the Department of Labor at least one year prior to completing six years in H-1B status, or if there is an approved I-140 immigrant petition in the EB-1 to EB-3 categories prior to completion of six years in H-1B status.



Yes, if you are “porting” H-1B status. For example, an individual currently in H-1B status by Employer A can commence employment with Employer B upon Employer B’s filing of an H-1B petition with the USCIS requesting extension of H-1B status. You can continue working for up to 240 days even if your I-94 expires prior to H-1B petition approval through Employer B. Incidentally, when H-1B status is about to expire, an H-1B petition requesting extension of status can be filed up to 180 days prior to the expiration date noted on the I-94 attached to the H-1B approval notice (Form I-797), or the date noted on the I-94 that is issued when entering the U.S. The “last action rule” applies in determining proper validity dates when there is conflict.


For example, if an individual has H-1B approval notice valid until April 30, 2013, but his or her I-94 issued at the port-of-entry shows expiration of H-1B status on April 30, 2011, the individual is able to remain legally in the U.S. only until April 30, 2011 if the entry to the U.S. was the latest action by the USCIS.



LCA (labor condition application) is electronically filed with the Department of Labor (DOL). It must be certified by the DOL before the H-1B petition is filed with the USCIS. It is an abbreviated procedure that results in certification within 10 business days, and is normally taken care of by the attorney handling the preparation and filing of the H-1B petition. Labor Certification (Application for Alien Employment Certification, also known as PERM) is associated with employment-based permanent residency and is not related to the nonimmigrant H-1B visa category, although frequently a Labor Certification is filed with the DOL by the employer while a person is in H-1B status if the employer is offering permanent, full-time employment to the employee.



The process begins with determining whether an individual has an employer willing to sign the H-1B petition, and whether the individual will be performing work in a specialty occupation which requires a relevant U.S. bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent, and whether the individual possesses the above qualifications. An evaluation of a foreign degree must be completed by a qualified credentials evaluator (our law firm can serve as a liaison between you and the evaluator) equating the foreign degree, if applicable, to the U.S. equivalent. Employment experience may be taken into account, and most evaluators use the formula of 3 years of professional-level employment experience equating to one year of college. Then the “prevailing wage” must be determined. An H-1B employer is required to pay the higher of the prevailing wage for the position in the local geographical region (what similarly situated employers pay U.S. workers for the same position), or the actual wage paid to employees at the (sponsoring) company who hold similar positions.


A common source of determining the prevailing wage is the Foreign Labor Certification Data Center Online Wage Library where the H-1B beneficiary will work. The prevailing wage data as well as other information is entered onto an application called the labor condition application (LCA). The LCA is filed with the Department of Labor, which certifies it and returns it to the attorney, or to the employer if there is no attorney-on-record. The next step is to submit Form I-129 with H supplement to the USCIS, along with the certified LCA as well as information on the company and the nature and duties of the position and evidence of the beneficiary's background and education as well as evidence of maintenance of current non immigrant status if in the U.S. at time of filing the H-1B petition. This is more difficult than it appears. Entire careers, if not empires, have been built on study of H-1B laws, regulations, and procedures.



It is important to begin the process early, as the LCA filed with the DOL after prevailing wage determination can take two weeks. The H-1B petition filed with the USCIS may take anywhere from six weeks to several months for approval. In addition, USCIS caps (quotas) on H-1B visas argue even more strongly on the importance of starting the process early so that there is no interruption in legal status. Individuals subject to the H-1B quota for any fiscal year (October 1 to September 30) are encouraged to file as soon as legally able to do so (April 01 requesting employment start date of October 01).


For fiscal year (FY) 2009, which started on October 01, 2008, and which allowed for filing cap-subject petitions up to six months prior to the start of the fiscal year, the visa cap was reached on April 05, 2008. The USCIS gave equal consideration to cap-subject H-1B petitions received between April 01 and April 05, 2008 for fiscal year 2009, and refused to accept any further cap-subject H-1B petitions. The USCIS also instituted a random selection system since many more petitions were filed by April 05 than the available visa slots. In FY 2010, the visa cap was reached on December 21, 2009. For FY 2011, the visa cap was reached on January 26, 2011. For FY 2012, the visa cap was reached on November 22, 2011



A prospective immigrant to the U.S. should actively explore various immigration procedures during the first or second year of H-1B status if he or she does not want to leave the U.S. for one year in order to re-enter on H-1B status. A application for alien employment certification (Labor Certification, now commonly known as PERM) may take several months for certification after filing, and the PERM application must be pending with the USCIS for at least one year before six years are completed in H-1B visa status (or I-140 petition for immigrant worker approved by USCIS after PERM certification) in order to extend H-1B status beyond six years.


Almost all foreign applicants seeking permanent residency in the U.S. on the basis of an offer of employment require a certified PERM application from the DOL as the first step in the employment-based green card process. If the PERM application is not filed in time prior to completion of six years, and an applicant’s spouse is in H-1B status as well, the applicant may be able to change status to H-4, although H-4 (dependent of H-1B status holder) status does not authorize employment.


Prior to 2007, the six-year limit applied to H visa status in general (whether H-1B or H-4 dependent visa status). The Secretary of Labor makes two findings before granting labor certification (PERM): a) qualified U.S. workers cannot be found, at the time of filing the application and in the area of intended employment who are able, willing, and available to fill the position offered to the applicant; and b) employment of the foreign applicant will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers. An immigrant petition (Form I-140) must be filed with the USCIS within 180 days of labor certification (PERM). An individual may consider changing to another nonimmigrant status, but most other nonimmigrant visa categories, such as F-1 (student) or B-1 or B-2 (business visitor or tourist) do not permit employment. Another option would be to change status to the O-1 visa category, but this nonimmigrant visa status requires an offer of employment and is suitable only for “extraordinary ability” individuals. Yet another option is to work abroad for a U.S. employer's offices overseas for one year and re-enter the U.S. on L-1 status under the multinational Manager/Executive category (L-1A) or the specialized knowledge worker category (L-1B). The L-1A category allows for filing of an immigrant petition directly, leading to a green card, without first obtaining a PERM certification from the DOL.



An H-1B holder's spouse can change status to H-4 status if in the U.S. or the spouse may apply for an H-4 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. The H-1B spouse's presence is not required at the Consulate. Requirements are the Form I-797 (H-1B) approval notice of the H-1B spouse, copy of Form I-129H and LCA filed with the USCIS by the employer of the H-1B spouse, copy of all supporting documentation filed with Form I-129H, marriage certificate, birth certificate and passport (of spouse), letter of employment from H-1B spouse's employer, notarized copy of H1B spouse's passport, bank statement or tax returns showing enough income to support dependent spouse, recent pay stubs and W-2 (summary of annual income) of the H-1B spouse, a few wedding photographs and wedding invitation card, and visa fee. Do not submit original documents since they are unlikely to be returned, but originals should be available upon request by a Consular official.


In most cases the Consulate will require that the H-1B spouse have an unexpired H-1B visa stamp in his or her passport before issuing H-4 visa stamp to the spouse. Some of the above documents are not required for change of status to H-4 within the U.S., but the above list is a comprehensive reference of documents that should be immediately available.



An amended petition is required when the following changes occur: The job duties of the H-1B beneficiary change significantly to the extent that the duties are no longer similar to the position identified on the I-129 petition filed with USCIS; when the H-1B beneficiary is assigned to a location outside the metropolitan area of employment listed on the original LCA; when the employer's tax identification number is changed based on a corporate restructuring such as merger, acquisition, or consolidation; when the H-1B employer merges with another company creating a third entity which will subsequently employ the beneficiary; when the H-1B beneficiary is transferred to a different legal entity within the employer's corporate structure. Please note that an amended petition may not be required where the new corporate entity has assumed the rights and obligations of the original employer and where the terms and conditions of employment remain the same but for the identity of the employer. Acquisitions involving asset purchases must be evaluated to assure that the purchasing company has acquired all of the rights and obligations of the original employer.



Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a form of work authorization normally granted for one year to students after completion of their studies. The OPT enables a student to work for any employer and gain valuable work experience. It is never too early to seek out an employer willing to file the H-1B petition. The USCIS stated that for fiscal year (FY) 1999 it will accommodate F and J visa status holders in valid status whose employers filed a timely (i.e., prior to the expiration date of their present status) H-1B petition. Petitions in this category would be adjudicated with a start date of October 1, 1999 and they (including spouse and child) would be permitted to remain in the U.S. while waiting for H-1B status to be available on October 1, 1999.


However, these candidates were not permitted to work or engage in any other activity that would be in violation of their respective F and J status. The USCIS clarified that there is no requirement that the F or J visa holders should have filed for change of status prior to the cap having been reached. The above USCIS regulation applied to FY 2000 as well OK, the above was an interesting history lesson that may have affected your older siblings or seniors at college. In 2008, the USCIS implemented “cap gap” provisions allowing an individual whose H-1B petition had been filed with employment start date of October 01, 2008, the earliest that a cap-subject petition can be approved for a fiscal year, to extend their OPT and remain in the U.S. legally even if their OPT expires prior to October 01, 2008 as long as their petition has been accepted within the visa cap. When the H-1B petition is approved with effective start date ofOctober 01, 2008, the individual will automatically be in H-1B status and can of course continue to remain in the U.S.


The same principle holds for fiscal years 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012. Moreover, it may be possible to extend OPT for 17 additional months if a student has completed a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math degree (STEM). The 17 month extension of OPT is available for STEM majors in lieu of filing an H-1B petition.



Please see our links to Applying for a Visa in Canada or Applying at Other U.S. Consulates. For Canada the applicant will receive an appointment letter with a list of documents that they should carry with them. They include the following:

  • Appointment Letter from the Consulate;
  • Original Approval Notice of H-1B petition (Form I-797);
  • copy of Form I-129H and LCA;
  • copy of all supporting documentation filed with Form I-129H;
  • copy of degree evaluation, if any, equating foreign degree to U.S. degree; diplomas and transcripts; letter from H-1B employer stating title, salary, duration and nature of employment;
  • employment experience letter(s) from previous employer(s), completed state department application forms as per consulate instructions);
  • passport-size photo; visa fees; pay stubs and W-2 if employed legally earlier in the U.S.;
  • passport.

It is a good idea to check the Consulate’s procedures prior to the appointment.



The best method to remain violation free--even if you have never actually violated status--is to keep a record of all documents related to your immigration matter. These documents may be called upon to verify maintenance of status when filing an application or petition to change status, extend status, or adjust status (end stage of "green-card" processing). When filing adjustment of status application, it is mandatory to show that the applicant has continually maintained valid legal status throughout the entire stay in the U.S. Please note that there is a 180 day grace period accorded to employment-based cases in the first three preference categories (EB-1 to EB-3) and an exception for applications by immediate family members of U.S. citizens. There is no fine or penalty for violations of status of up to 180 days in employer sponsorship cases; the applicant should never remain in unlawful status for more than 180 days.


If he or she exceeds the 180 day limit, it may still be possible for the applicant to apply for adjustment of status in the U.S. (as opposed to consular processing) by paying a "penalty" fee of $1,225 to USCIS provided the application for labor certification (now commonly known as PERM), or EB-1 to EB-3 immigrant petition, or visa petition in the case of family members, was filed no later than April 30, 2001.



No. It is perfectly legal to be sponsored by several employers and to select, in any combination, one or more of these employers. To see it another way, you are not compelled to join an employer who has obtained H-1B approval for you, as long as you continue to maintain H-1B status through employment with existing H-1B employer. An H-1B petition for part-time employment is approvable as long as the position is a specialty occupation requiring a relevant U.S. bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent.



Adjustment of status is the last step in the process towards permanent residency. Final approval of adjustment of status application after filing may take several years. If departure from the U.S. was made prior to issuance of advance parole document, the adjustment of status application would be deemed abandoned and denied. However, the USCIS now permits H and L visa holders who have applied for adjustment of status to travel without advance parole. Prior to the implementation of the above rule, an adjustment applicant was unable to depart the U.S. temporarily without first seeking advance parole.


The current USCIS policy allows a nonimmigrant on H or L visa status in the U.S. to maintain such status while an application for permanent residency (adjustment of status application) is pending. The law already permits people on H and L visa status to maintain a “dual intent” (i.e., an intent to immigrate to the U.S. even if present in the U.S. in H or L non immigrant visa status) with respect to their stay in the U.S.


Thus, the new law exempts H-1 and L-1 non immigrants with a pending adjustment of status application (as well as their dependent family members in valid status) from having to obtain advance parole prior to traveling outside the United States. Such individuals can be re-admitted on the H-1 and L-1 visas, or the dependent H-4 and L-2 visas. H and L visa holders have the option of applying for "general" employment authorization along with adjustment of status.


General employment authorization allows the adjustment applicant to work for another employer. Please note that if an individual chooses to work for employers not authorized by the H-1 or L-1 visa terms, however, and thereafter wishes to travel, advance parole will be required, as the applicant would no longer be considered to be maintaining H-1 or L-1 status. Attorney fee is something that employer will incur and may be charged. It can be anywhere from $400 to $800.


It all depends on the attorney. As an employee you should not pay any fee for H1B petition it is your prospective employers responsibility to pay for the expense for H1B filing… H1B Visa Fraud Indicators

• The petitioning employer have fewer than 25 employees • Gross annual income is less than $10 million

• Petitioner is less than 10 years old;

• Multiple Filings – Disproportionately high number of H1B filings relative to number of employees.

• Contract for consultants or staffing agencies show no end-client

• Job location listed on petition differs from place of employment.

• Incomplete or inconsistent or missed information – inflated figures, etc

• Not paying the claimed wage

• No website for IT consulting company • Suspect Documents – Altered, counterfeit, boilerplate, etc.

• Photographs of petitioners premises have been altered ( company logo and signs added after photo was taken, etc)

• Zoning inconsistent with business data. Job location or office address not zoned for business;

• H1-B Dependent employer • LCA code doesn’t match the claimed job duties. • Evasive and Ambiguous answers.

• Petitioner filing outside of jurisdiction. • Abandoned or withdrawal after RFE issued;

• Questionable education credentials • Work Experience Letters – Altered, Unprofessional letterhead.

• The preparer and signatory address are the same, while the worksite is different;

• Skill, age, salary, and/or education do not match job requirements. H1B Visa 2014 Filing Date Only employer can file H1B visa application on behalf on an employee. H1B Visa 2014 Filing Date open from April 1, 2013.


H1B Visa 2014 Start Date USCIS will start accepting H1B Visa FY 2014 application from April 1, 2013 (Monday). After H1B approval, H1B start date will be from October 1, 2013 or later.


H1B Visa 2014 Application Process

  1. Department of Labor for getting LCA approval.
  2. Department of Homeland Security
    1. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
    2. U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
    3. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
  3. Department of State (for issuing visa)

During H1B approval process, your H1B Visa 2014 application will be handled by 2 departments

  • Department of Labor

H1B Visa 2014 Application Processing Time

Following is what it would typically take for an Immigration attorney to file and prepare your H1B Visa application for FY 2014.

  • Day 1 to 5: Start the H-1B Visa Process – Collect documents and prepare LCA application.
  • Day 6 to 7 – File LCA (Takes About 7 days for approval)
  • Day 8 to 13: Preparing the H1B applications while the LCA is Pending
  • Day 13 to 15: File H1B Application based on LCA approval date.

Above steps will vary between attorney’s, but you get an idea about how the entire process takes place.

Total Cap Count

H1B Visa 2014 Cap Count Tracker

H1B Visa can be applied under 3 different Cap – General, Advanced and Cap-Exempt.

  • 65,000 – General H1B Cap (or Regular Cap)
    • 1,400 H1B1 visa numbers are available for Chileans
    • 5,400 are set aside for Singapore nationals.
    • 20,000 – Advanced Degree Cap (Masters and above degree from USA)
    • No Quota – Cap-Exempt Companies (Non-Profit Research Companies)

H1B Visa – Approval Times

Processing time for H-1B Visa application FY 2014 depends on type of processing.

  • Regular Processing
  • Premium Processing

When additional $1225 is paid, USCIS will expedite the H1b Visa approval process. It’s usually 15 days from the H1B application receipt date.

Regular H1B application processing can take 2 to 4 months. Sometimes, it can take even longer.

H1B Visa Application : After Approval

After USCIS approves the H1B Visa petition, your employer will receive the I-797 Approval Notice with Start and Expiry Date of your H1B petition.

Typically, for application submitted to USCIS on April 1, 2013, start date of H1B will be from October 1, 2013.

Maximum period for which H1B application can be approved – 3 Years.

USCIS have approved application for just one year.


For more news and updates, assistance with your visa needs or for a Free Assessment of your profile for Immigration or Work Visa’s just visit


Esentail Checklist for application for H1B Visa


H1B Visa Documents


Options for you by Y-Axis

phone 1

Get it on your mobile


Get News alerts

contact 1

Contact Y-Axis

Latest Article

Popular Post

Trending Article

work visa in Canada without LMIA

Posted On June 22 2024

How to get a work visa in Canada without LMIA?