Y-Axis Overseas Jobs#

Get the latest and most useful updates on overseas careers, immigration, travel and visas here.

Work on a Spouse visa in the UK

Posted on March 28, 2020
Comment (0)
Share :
Y-Axis Blog

Work on a Spouse visa in the UK

The UK offers flexibility for immigrants who come to work in the country on a Tier 5 visa to convert it into a  Spouse visa if they get married or enter into a civil partnership with an individuals settled in the UK or is a citizen of the country.

Let us look at this in more detail and see how a Spouse visa will change the dynamics of your situation if you are working in the UK.

If you are currently working in the UK on a Tier 5 visa which is a short-term work visa, you can switch to a Spouse visa. The Tier 5 visa includes the following categories:

  • Charity Worker visa
  • Creative and Sporting visa
  • Government Authorized Exchange visa
  • International Agreement visa
  • Religious Worker visa
  • Seasonal Worker Visa
  • Youth Mobility Scheme visa

Eligibility requirements to convert to a Spouse visa:

You and your partner must be above 18 years

You must both be married under UK law or in a civil partnership

You must have been in a relationship for at least two years before your application

You must have the required level of English proficiency

You must meet the financial requirements

You and you partner must prove to live permanently in the UK to the home office

Eligibility requirements for your partner:

He/she must be a British citizen

He/she must have settled status in the UK

He/she can have a refugee status in the UK

Meeting requirements for the Spouse visa:

Financial requirements:

To get a Spouse visa, you must submit proof to the home office that you and your partner can meet the financial requirements. You must have a combined annual income of 18,600 pounds and in case you have children you must have proof of having additional income to support them as well. The income requirements can be met by combining both your incomes and your savings.

Relationship requirements:

You must prove that you are in a genuine relationship with your partner by proving you are living with your partner and have children and share their responsibility. You must also share financial responsibilities.

English language requirements:

For a Spouse visa an A1 level in English is required. This is a basic level of English but is enough to communicate in the language. However, those coming from an English-speaking country or have studied a degree course in English or have a qualification equivalent to that in the UK are exempted from this requirement.

Benefits of switching to a Spouse visa:

A Spouse visa has a validity of 30 months, after this period you can apply for a further extension of 30 months. This will let you stay for a total of five years in the UK after which you can apply for an indefinite leave to remain (ILR), with which you can stay permanently in the country.

A Spouse visa allows you to work for any sector or employer in the UK on a full-time or part-time basis.

While changing from a Tier 5 visa to a Spouse visa you can continue to stay in the country based on the conditions of the Tier 5 visa till you get your Spouse visa. You can also continue to work during the transition period.

A Spouse visa is your best option if you want to live with your partner and work in the UK on a long-term basis.

Share :

Submit a Comment


Feedpost Accrediation

Follow Us

We want to hear from you!