To be able to study, work or live in the US is a dream come true for Overseas Immigrants. Some even aim for US Citizenship. In the present time, it might sound a little difficult but it’s not entirely unattainable. As quoted by U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Naturalization is the key to US Citizenship. It is the process by which the US offers Citizenship to Overseas Immigrants.
When can immigrants apply?
- They must be at least 18 years of age
- They must have spent 5 years in the country as Permanent Residents
- They have been married to a US Citizen husband or wife for at least 3 years
- They have honorary service in the US Military
How to apply?
- Overseas Immigrants must fill out the Form N-400 available on the USCIS website
- They must pass the Naturalization test
- The test assesses their knowledge on the US history and Government
- Form M-476 gives a guide to Naturalization
- They must read Form M-599 in case they are applying as military personnel
There are some requirements that Overseas Immigrants must fulfill:
- They must be a person of good moral character
- Knowledge of the US Government or history is a must
- They must be able to read, write and speak English
- They must have a continuous physical presence in the country as Permanent Residence for at least 30 months
- A child can apply for Citizenship only if they were born outside the country and their parents are US Citizens
- They must have served in the US Military
- Students may apply for Naturalization if they are financially dependent on their parents
Benefits you get:
Along with US Citizenship, Overseas Immigrants get certain rights and privileges. Let’s have a look at them:
- They can travel anywhere in the world with a US passport
- They can run for elective office where US Citizenship is required
- They can vote in federal elections
- They can participate in a jury
- They will be eligible for law enforcement jobs
- They can avail of certain state benefits
- Their minor children can obtain US Citizenship
- They can bring family members to the country
Y-Axis offers a wide range of visa and immigration services as well as products to aspiring overseas immigrants including Work Visa for USA, Study Visa for USA, Business Visa for USA, Y-International Resume 0-5 yrs, Y-International Resume (Senior Level) 5+ yrs, Y Jobs, Y-Path, Resume Marketing Services One State and One Country.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the US, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…
Why is the Form I-9 used in the USA?