UK student visa

Sign up for free

expert consultation

Down Arrow

I accept the Terms & Conditions

Don't know what to do?

Get Free Counseling

Posted on June 20 2023

Work in U.S. or Get PR in USA after Graduation. Great chance for International students!

By  Editor
Updated July 21 2023

Highlights: U.S. Work Visas and Permanent Residency after graduation

  • International students studying in the U.S. can work for up to one year after graduation through the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program.
  • H-1B lottery offers 65,000 visas for students with a bachelor's degree and 20,000 for students with a master's degree.
  • A TN visa has 3 years of validity and can be renewed indefinitely.
  • There are various work visa options available, including the H-1B, E-2, TN, and O-1A visas.
  • The EB-2 NIW and EB-1A are two employment-based green card options.

*Wish to study in USA? Y-Axis is here to offer you the required guidance.

International students studying in the United States hope to work in the country after graduation. Understanding the work visa and permanent residency options can be very helpful. This article breaks down the options for undergraduate and graduate-level students.

Working after Graduation in USA as a foreign students

International students on an F-1 visa can work in the U.S. for up to one year after graduation through the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, which is extendable for STEM majors. OPT allows students to gain work experience while completing their degrees.

U.S. Work Visa options for international students

After OPT program expires, students must look for  work visa options. Common temporary work visas include:

  • H-1B visa
  • E-2 visa
  • TN visa
  • O-1A visa
  • EB-2 NIW visa
  • EB-1A visa

 Each of the above visas comes with different qualifications and requirements.

*Looking to work to USA Get in touch with the experts at Y-Axis.

H-1B Visa

H-1B visa is a popular work visa obtained through a lottery system. It offers 65,000 visas for those with a bachelor's degree and 20,000 for Master's degree holders. The employer must apply in March, and candidates can start working in October. It lasts for six years period with extensions possible.

E-2 Visa

E-2 visa is good for student entrepreneurs. It requires investment from a treaty country and 50% ownership of the company. No degree requirement exists, and the time period can be extended indefinitely.

TN Visa

TN visa is good for students from Canada or Mexico in specific occupations like nursing, teaching, engineering, and accounting. A bachelor's degree is needed, with no limit on the number of visas. It lasts three years with indefinite renewal.

O-1A Visa

O-1A visa is for individuals with extraordinary abilities in science, arts, education, business, or athletics. No specific degree is required. It lasts for three years, can be extended indefinitely, and allows for permanent residency applications.

EB-2 NIW Visa

EB-2 NIW visa, which stands for National Interest Wavier, is for permanent immigration. The student must hold an advanced level degree or exceptional ability to qualify. Entrepreneur students must prove the positive economic and social impact on the US. The processing time is 1 year and is high for students from India and China.

EB-1A Visa

EB-1A visa requires an advanced degree or exceptional ability, showcasing the company's potential. EB-1A visa requires extraordinary ability in the top 1% of one's field. The processing time of this visa varies, and students should plan accordingly.

Right path for Immigration after graduation

The right immigration path starts with an aimed goal. If you are entrepreneur and planning for a permanent residency in U.S., your immigration path may be different as compared to other plans.

Y-Axis can help you to apply for work visa and permanent residency in United States. Our immigration expertise can easily trespass you from the complexities of United States immigration system. Y-Axis offer detailed consultation to choose your post-graduation options.

Are you looking to migrate to the USA? Talk to Y-Axis, the World’s no.1 Immigration & Visa Company.

Found this article interesting? You may also read: New Act to lift the country quota for U.S. Green Card

Web Story:  Work in U.S. or Get PR in USA after Graduation. Great chance for International students!


Work visa



Options for you by Y-Axis

phone 1

Get it on your mobile


Get News alerts

contact 1

Contact Y-Axis

Latest Article

Popular Post

Trending Article

Portugal Work Permit

Posted On July 15 2024

Can I get a Portugal work Permit without a job offer?