University of Waterloo (UWaterloo), Ontario, Canada
The University of Waterloo, also known as UWaterloo, is a public research university in Waterloo, Ontario province in Canada. The main campus is spread over 404 hectares in an area adjacent to Waterloo Park. It has three satellite campuses and four university colleges which are affiliated. Offered by the university are academic programs through six faculties and thirteen faculty-based schools.
It was established in April 1956 as a semi-autonomous unit of Waterloo College, the University of Western Ontario’s affiliate. It relocated from Toronto in 1967.
Macleans, 2022, rates it as the most innovative university. One of the university’s top-ranking courses is Master of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence.
*Need assistance to study in Canada? Y-Axis is here to assist you in all the ways.
Housed in the campus of University of Waterloo are more than 100 buildings. Around 42,000 students are admitted into its full-time and part-time programs. Around 10% of those are international students. While 36,000 students are pursuing undergraduate courses, the remaining 6,000 are enrolled in postgraduate courses.
The university is a recipient of CAD64 million worth of fundings directly from industry and the government.
- Offered Programs: it offers more than 100 undergraduate courses and close to 200 graduate courses. Its most popular programs are in architecture, business and finance, and sciences.
- Campus and Accommodation: There are more than 200 student clubs and 30 athletic clubs. Students are also offered free access to counselling.
- International Students Deadlines: For undergraduate level courses, there is one intake only, which is usually during the month of February.
- Cost of education at University of Waterloo: The cost of attendance at the University of Waterloo. including books and other facilities, roughly varies from CAD43,000 to CAD65,000. The university, however, offers scholarships to students of up to CAD10,000.
- Entrepreneurship programs: The University encourage a flourishing start-up environment within its students. Waterloo Entrepreneurship Program gave rise to more than 7,500 jobs and generated revenues worth CAD2.3 billion.
Courses at University of Waterloo
The university also offers specialized graduate programs in data science and artificial intelligence, besides biotechnology and robotics. The university also offers to over 70% of its undergraduate students’ co-op programs.
Popular Programs at the University of Waterloo
|Names of Programs||Total Annual Fees|
|Master of Engineering (M.Eng), Mechanical Engineering||INR 5,45,718|
|Master of Mathematics (M.Math), Computer Science||INR 13,77,244|
|Master Of Applied Science (M.ASc), Electrical and Computer Engineering||INR 6,98,433|
|Master of Science (M.Sc), Data Science and Artificial Intelligence||INR 22,77,389|
|Master of Engineering (M.Eng), Chemical Engineering|
|Master of Taxation ( M.Tax)||INR 5,22,865|
|Master of Applied Science (M.Asc), Civil Engineering||INR 12,74,194|
|Master of Science(M.Sc), Quantitative Finance||INR 6,98,433|
|Master of Mathematics (M.Math), Applied Mathematics|
|Master of Architecture (M.Arch)||INR 11,48,841|
|Master of Applied Science (M.ASc), Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering||INR 10,47,620|
*Confused to choose which course to pursue Master’s? Avail Y-Axis course recommendation services to choose the best.
Rankings of University of Waterloo
In QS World University Rankings, 2022, the university ranked #149
According to US News and World Report, 2022, the university raked #199
About the Campus of University of Waterloo
University of Waterloo’s main campus is spread over 404 hectares in Waterloo, Ontario. It is bounded by Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo Park, and Laurel Creek Conservation Area.
Its other university campuses are: Health Sciences Campus & School of Pharmacy, School of Architecture, and Stratford School of Interaction Design & Business. It also houses an ‘Earth Sciences Museum’ and a Center for Quantum Research within its ‘Mike & Ophelia Lazaridis Quantum-Nano Centre’.
- The university offers over 200 educational, benevolent, political, social, sports, and cultural clubs for students.
- There are more 10 cafés, restaurants, performance venues, which are only twenty minutes away from the campus.
- Different types of cuisines are offered on-campus for students belonging to various cultures and countries, such as vegetarian, halal, vegan, kosher, and custom-made ones.
Accommodation at University of Waterloo
The university offers accommodation both on-campus and outside the campus to its students in different modes with diverse facilities at prices of various types to let them choose the option that suits their requirements and budgets.
The university assures on-campus housing to its first-year students, besides the advantages of personal and educational support.
- Students can avail accommodation in either the main residences or on the four on-campus colleges of the university, with a capacity to house about 300 to 1,350 and 140 to 350, respectively.
- At the available accommodations are options, such as apartments, single and double-sharing rooms, suites or conventional dorm-style rooms.
- The cost for accommodation on-campus varies according to the term and rooms of options ranging from CAD2,500 to CAD3,300 per term.
Off Campus Housing
- The off-campus housing provided for foreign students include homestays, which are close to the campus but offering privacy.
- The approximate cost of off-campus accommodation with straightforward facilities is about CAD600 per month.
Admission Process at University of Waterloo
The university’s application process for admission is as follows:
- Create an OUAC account to apply online.
- Choose a program of choice.
- Submit a completed application by paying an application fee of US$117 along with an international student fee of US$8.
- Keep getting updates through the personal email id about the application status.
Application Deadlines at the University of Waterloo
Admission is offered to first-year students globally only for the term that begins in September.
Tuition Fee at the University of Waterloo
The tuition fee for various programs depends on their levels and durations. The approximate range for international students in a program at the University of Waterloo is CAD41,000 to CAD62,000 per year. Tuition fee for subject of some of the undergraduate and graduate programs is as follows.
|Program||Tuition fee (CAD) per year|
|Faculty of Engineering, Software Engineering||59,336|
|Accounting and Financial Management||39,578|
|Computer Science, Business Administration (Laurier) and Computer Science (Waterloo) Double Degree||59,320|
|Global Business and Digital Arts||46,631|
|Faculty of Applied Health Sciences and Arts||39,579|
Cost of living at University of Waterloo
An approximate cost of living in Canada, besides tuition fee.
|Type of Expenses||Cost (CAD)|
|Housing||2,314 to 3,090|
|Books and Supplies||484 to 954|
|Total||5,191 to 6,450|
International Scholarships at University of Waterloo
The university offers financial assistance to international students by way of grants and scholarships. Many awards provided are merit-based and are accessible to students needing of financial assistance. Some of the scholarships at the University of Waterloo are as follows:
|Scholarship’s name||Amount (CAD)||Eligibility|
|International Student Entrance Scholarships||10,000||To foreign students enrolled in the first-year (full-time) undergraduate degree program; academic score of 90% and above.|
|President’s Scholarship||2,000||First-year (full-time) undergraduate student; academic score of 90 to 94.9%.|
|Merit Scholarship||1,000||First-year (full-time) undergraduate students of degree programs who had applied in early May admission; academic score of 85 to 89.9%.|
Note: The university also provides various application-based scholarships.
Placements at University of Waterloo
Given below are the UWaterloo’s highest paying degrees:
|Program||Average Annual Salary (CAD)|
|Masters in Finance||1,130,781|
|Bachelor of Science||862,624|
|Masters in Science||768,932|
|Masters in Management||673,651|
University of Waterloo provides to its students world-class teaching in all academic fields to prepare them face the challenges of the world outside. Outside the campus, in Waterloo, students can avail various recreational opportunities.
*Get expert coaching services from Y-Axis professionals to ace your scores.