Canada is facing a skill shortage in various sectors that include both skilled and semi-skilled sectors. There is a dearth of local talent and an aging workforce have combined to create a labor shortage. The skill shortage has created a demand for immigrants with the required skills.
The government of Canada has therefore increased its immigration targets and pans to bring in 1 million immigrants by 2022. This is to meet the labor shortage the various sectors in the country are facing. In keeping with this plan, Canada seeks to invite 341,000 skilled workers in 2020. So, if you belong to any one of the occupations that are in demand, then you have a good chance to find work and immigrate to Canada.
Here are the top ten occupations in demand for 2020 in Canada:
1. Software engineer- There is a very high demand for software developers. Employers in Canada are looking to hire candidates who have extensive work experience. The annual salary range for this profession will be between 92,450 to 157,165 CAD.
2. Aerospace engineer- There are plenty of job openings for aerospace engineers in Canada especially in the top four cities of Quebec, Nova Scotia, British Columbia and Ontario (Toronto). The annual salary range for this profession will be between 89,700 to 52,490 CAD.
3. Registered nurse- The demand for nurses has increased with an aging population. Registered nurses can work as a coordinator or supervisor, primary health practitioners, dental nurse, licensed practical nurse, or nurse aid. They can earn anywhere between 76,342 to 129,781 CAD annually.
4. Occupational or physiotherapy assistant-An aging population has increased the demand for this profession as well. The annual salary range for this profession will be between 70,000 to 90,000 CAD.
5. Business management consultant- With more local workers retiring or moving on to other jobs, the need for business management consultants is growing. They can earn anywhere between 77, 875 to 132,388 CAD annually.
6. College or vocational instructor-With thousands of vacancies currently open in many provinces and territories across Canada and a shortage of educators to fill them, teachers have been added to the list of high-demand occupations in the country. Added to this those who are currently teaching are nearing retirement age. The salary ranges from 47,736 to 75,408 CAD per year.
7. Sales associate– Businesses in Canada require skilled and experienced sales personnel to sell their products. The salary for this position ranges from 52,000 to 62,000 CAD per year.
8. Driver- All types of commercial drivers are in demand in Canada, from long-haul truck drivers to forklift drivers. Those with proper licenses can easily find work. The salary ranges from 44,850 to 75,770 CAD per year.
9. Industrial electrician- With a lack of qualified local talent, industrial electricians are in demand, especially in the provinces of Canada. The salary for this profession range between 49, 334 to 81,491 CAD per year.
10. Welder– Welders are Canada’s most in-demand skilled trade at present. It is also one of the highest-paying jobs. The salary ranges from 40,938 to 69,595 CAD per year.