If you have just moved to the US, your prospective employer would like to verify your immigration status. You would need to provide evidence that you have the authorization to work in the USA.
Immigrants in the USA would be required to possess any one of the below-listed documents to work legally, as per USCIS:
1. Green Card which is the Permanent Resident Card of USA
2. Passport of the USA or passport card
3. Foreign passport which has I-551 form stamped on it
4. The US Employment Authorization Document
Passport from the Republic of the Marshall Islands or from the Federated States of Micronesia. It should be accompanied by the I-94 or the I-94A form. There is Free Association Treaties between the US and these countries. The I-94 forms indicate the admission of non-immigrants under this treaty.
The immigrants may also use any one of these documents if they do not have the above:
1. Social Security Cards. However, the cards should not indicate that they are not valid for employment. Neither should they indicate that they are valid for employment only with DHS
2. US State Department’s certified birth document with forms FS-545, DS-1350 or FS-240.
3. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by any county, state or municipal authority in the US. The certificate should also have an official seal on it.
4. Identity document issued by any of the US native tribes
5. Form I-197 or the US citizenship identity card. This is no longer available but is a valid document.
6. Form I-179 or the US resident identity card. This card is no longer available but remains valid.
7. A document indicating work authorization issued by the US Department of Homeland Security.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…