The Form I-129 is a petition which is submitted by an employer in the US for a non-immigrant worker. Employers submit this petition to the USCIS to obtain or make amendments to the worker’s non-immigrant visa status.
The Form 1-129 is used to file for a new Visa status or to change a Visa status. If the Form I-129 is approved, then the worker can continue being employed in the US. In the case where the worker is outside the US, the Form I-129 may be used to submit a visa application, as per The Guardian.
For the following visa statuses, a FormI-129 has to be filed for beginning employment. The form is also needed for a change in status, extension, or change in employment details:
- H1B Visa: Temporary foreign workers for specialized occupations. Workers should at least hold a bachelors degree or equivalent.
- H1B2 Visa: This is for outstanding services relating to an R&D project administered by the Dept. of Defense, USA
- H1B3 Visa: Prominent fashion model
- H2A Visa: Temporary foreign agricultural workers
- H2B Visa: Temporary foreign non-agricultural workers for specialized occupations
- H3 Visa: Temporary Visa for foreign trainees or special education workers
- L1 Visa: Temporary Visa for employees of organizations which have offices both in the US and outside
- O Visa: Extraordinary ability in the fields of arts, science, business, education, or athletics
- P Visa: Temporary visa for athletes, artists, or entertainers
- Q1 Visa: For international cultural exchange
- R1 Visa: Foreign worker in a religious occupation
The Form I-129 is needed for change in the status of the following visas:
- E1 Visa: Traders of Treaty countries
- E2 Visa: Investors of Treaty countries
- E3 Visa: This visa is only for Australian citizens and is similar to an H1B Visa
- TN Visa: Specifically for citizens of Canada and Mexico
The Form I-129 may be filed at the following processing centers in the USA:
- California Service Center (CSC)
- Vermont Service Center (VSC)
- Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
- Texas Service Center (TSC)
The employer needs to choose the Service Center based on:
- The Visa classification
- The action which the employer is seeking
- The location of the employer
Y-Axis offers a wide range of Visa and Immigration products as well as services for aspiring overseas immigrants including Work Visa for the USA, Study Visa for the USA, and Business Visa for the USA.
If you are looking to Study, Work, Visit, Invest or Migrate to the USA, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No.1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…