Highlights: US to issue work permits to Green card applicants with 5+ years of waiting time
- The employment authorization cards will be issued to candidates in the early stages of the Green card application.
- The new policy will reduce the waiting time for highly skilled foreign workers to get permanent residency cards.
- Candidates with approved I-140 employment-based visa petitions may have access to the authorization and travel documents.
- If implemented, the EB-1, EB-2 & EB-3 visa categories may be eligible for the new policy.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s US Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHS-USCIS) will officially grant the work permits.
*Looking to work in USA? Get in touch with our experts at Y-Axis.
A sigh of relief for Green Card applicants
- Candidates that have applied for the green card and have been waiting for over five years may now have work permits issued to them.
- If the policy is implemented, the DHS-USCIS will grant candidates with travel documents and Employment Authorization Documents (EADs).
- Only candidates with sanctioned I-140 employment-based visas can obtain the EADs and travel documents.
- The EB-1, EB-2 & EB-3 categories of visas with I-140 petitions qualify for the new program.
- The issuance of work permits will majorly benefit applicants who have been waiting for the status of their green card for over five years.
- The proposal of this plan was initiated by Ajay Jain Bhutoria, a prominent Indian-American community leader and activist, after underlining the struggles of H-1B visa holders in the country.
- The new idea was suggested keeping in mind the long waiting hours faced by the highly skilled foreign workers that include Indians, regarding the processing of immigrant visas.
Planning to migrate to the USA? Contact Y-Axis, world’s No.1 Immigration Company
If you found this article interesting, also read…
UK, US, Germany, & Russia to simplify work permit rules for Indians
Top 10 Highest Paid Professions USA, 2023