Australia welcomed around 190,000 immigrants in the period between June 2014 and June 2015. Nikkei Asian Review is quoted as saying that of these, 68 percent were skilled migrants who qualified through a points-based migration programme. The remaining 32 percent were parents, children and other family members of citizens of Australia or its permanent residents.
As per the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s (DIBP) website, listed are occupations under which aspiring migrants’ eligibility to apply for skilled migration programme of Australia is mentioned along with the quota for each category. For instance, the quota of nurses is 16, 346 and that of electrical engineers is 9,345. Beginning 2016, two more occupations have been added. They are prosthetists and audiologists, for which quota of 1,000 each has been allocated. Meanwhile, nine professions have been deleted from this list, which includes mining engineers and metallurgists, indicating the hit taken by the Australian mining industry.
The points-based immigration system, under which skilled migrants that Australian economy badly needs, is drawing people from the UK and Austria. As per the system, points are assigned to applicants based on their academic achievements, English language skills, age and their work history.
John Hewson, a former leader of the Liberal Party and a professor emeritus and research fellow at Australian National University, strongly believes that immigrants majorly contribute to the country’s economic development. This is the reason why the country Down Under is said to be offering so many incentives to talented immigrants
If you also are looking to migrate to Australia, visit one of the 19 offices of Y-Axis located in all the major cities of the country for assistance and guidance in filing for a visa.