The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa (subclass 400) is a temporary visa that lets you enter Australia to:
- Perform short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work
- Participate in an event or events on a non-ongoing basis at the invitation of an Australian organisation
- In limited circumstances, participate in an activity or work relating to Australia’s interests
Highly specialised work is usually working that either:
- Is done by people with an occupation listed in Major Groups 1, 2 or 3 of the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)
- Needs skills and knowledge that are specific to an international company such as installing imported equipment, after-sales service or emergency repairs
Generally you can stay in Australia for up to three months where required, but depending on your work or activity a longer period of up to six months may be allowed in limited circumstances.You must be outside Australia when you apply for this visa and when your application is decided.You must arrive in Australia within six months of the date when the visa is granted.
When lodging your subclass 400 visa application, you will need to allow time for the application to be processed, taking into account the date you are intending to travel to Australia. The Department of Home Affairs (DIBP earlier) may take up to one month for the application to be assessed (sometimes longer if health or character checks are required) or within a shorter timeframe if all the required evidence is provided.
It is recommended that you allow yourself enough time to lodge your application ahead of your intended travel dates. However, it is generally not recommended that you lodge a subclass 400 application more than six months before your intended travel date, as you must arrive in Australia within six months from the date the visa is granted, otherwise you will need to re-apply.
The Department of Home Affairs (DIBP earlier) will mention how many times you can enter Australia on this visa:
- You might be allowed to enter only once. If so, you will need to apply for a new visa, if you want to return to Australia again after you leave
- Alternatively, you might be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid. If you need to make a number of return visits during the stay period, you must tell officials in the visa application form, including the reason why you need to make return visits to Australia
- Your visa will only be valid during the period of stay that you have been granted, and this will commence from the date of your first entry into Australia. Re-entering Australia does not start a new period of stay
This visa lets you:
- Stay in Australia while your visa is valid and allows you to bring your family with you if you included them in your visa application
Do the work or activity for which you were granted the visa, which will usually be either:
- Short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work
- Participation in non-ongoing cultural or social activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation
You might be eligible for this visa if you are outside Australia and you:
- Have specialised skills, knowledge or experience that can assist Australian business
- Have been invited to participate in an event by an organisation in Australia, or
- Are required in Australia for exceptional circumstances of national importance so as to assist in them
Base application charge
Non-internet application charge
Additional applicant charge
18 and over
Additional applicant charge under 18
Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity)
(Subclass 400) – all streams
Y-Axis Process Includes:
Professional guidance and advice provided in preparing the petition for Employer Eligible sponsor application, Employer nomination application & Applicant visa application.
- Document checklist
- Complete Application Processing
- Forms, Documentation & application Filing
- Updates & Follow-up with the relevant departments if required, till the decision is received
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.