This is a permanent residence visa for points-tested skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia. To be able to apply for this visa you need to submit an Expression of Interest and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted. Further, you have to have a positive skills assessment report from the respective skills assessment authority based on your occupation to apply for EOI.
Skills assessment should be completed with the respective skills assessment authority based on the occupation under which you qualify and meet the requirements to migrate under skilled migration.
- Skill Assessment Fee – AUD300 – AUD2,200
- Education Assessment (if applicable) – AUD60 – 300
You might be eligible to apply for a skilled visa, if invited. When you receive a letter of invitation, you must also have:
- Nominated an occupation that is on the relevant occupation list
- Obtained suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- Not yet turned 45 years of age
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- At least competent English
The applicants have to satisfy the basic requirements to migrate under the skilled Independent visa.
Age:- The age of the applicant should be between 18 -45 years. Minimum points of 15 with a maximum of up to 30 can be granted.
English language:- Engineers Australia has announced that from the 1st January 2016, Engineers Australia will be accepting the TOEFL iBT as an alternative English Language Test to address the English language competency element of the Migration Skills Assessment.
Applicants submitting their application on or after 1st January 2016 will be able to provide either an IELTS test result form with a score of 6 or more in each of the 4 modules, or a TOEFL iBT result with the following minimal scores for each module:
- Listening: 12
- Reading: 13
- Writing: 21
- Speaking: 18
Applicants will need to upload the test results as well as write their registration number. TOEFL iBT results will be accepted for up to 2 years after the test date.
Nominated Occupation:- The applicant should nominate an occupation on the relevant list that matches with his /her skills, qualifications and work experience.
Skill Assessment:- It is mandatory for an applicant to get a positive skill assessment for a nominated occupation before the EOI is lodged.
Points can also be earned on the following eligibility criteria:
- Overseas Experience points (Experience outside Australia):-The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having three/five/eight years of overseas experience in the nominated occupation in the last 10 years. Minimum points of 5 with a maximum of up to 15 can be granted.
- Overseas Qualification points (Qualifications gained outside Australia):-The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for recognized qualifications which is at a level of bachelors or higher or PhD. or holding qualifications that are evaluated by the assessing body during the skills assessment. Minimum points of 10 with a maximum of up to 20 can be granted, according to the level of qualification AQF Diploma or Bachelors /higher or PhD. or a qualification recognized by the evaluating body during the assessment. The relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation can usually determine whether your qualifications are of a standard that is comparable to a relevant Australian qualification.
- Australian Experience:-An applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having worked in Australia for one/three/five/eight in one of the occupations in a full-time paid employment. Minimum points of 5 with a maximum of up to 20 can be granted.
- Australian Study :-An applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim additional points for Australian study for a qualification which is a course of at least two Academic years or more. Minimum points of 5 with a maximum of up to 15 can be granted.
- Partner Skills :-An applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points under partner skills, if the partner satisfies the basic requirements of age, English language ability, qualifications and skills assessment result. The partner should obtain positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority and IELTS of 6 in each band. Spouse nominated occupation should be from the same occupations list as the main applicant.
- Professional years/ Credential community language:-Professional year programs for at least 12 months done from Australia in the last 4 years and Credential community language qualification points, if you have been assessed as a Para professional translator by NAATI will lead to 5 points.
You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
Debts to the Australian Government
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
You can include the following people in your visa application:
- Your partner (married or de facto)
- Your or your partner’s dependent children
These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in your application. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Your family members must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements, regardless of whether they are willing to migrate or not.
Dependent visa applicants, who are above 18 years, are required to meet at least Functional English requirement through study where medium of instruction is in English or by IELTS test scores of 4.5 and above or by paying visa second installment charges towards English requirements.
You can add your partner and dependent children to your application at any time until your visa is decided.
- Skill Assessment fee – AUD300- AUD2,200
- Education Assessment (if applicable) – AUD60 – 300
Once an application is submitted with the assessing authority, the process time is 2 – 4 weeks. A few assessing authorities offer a priority processing option, which can be opted for to get the results faster.
The process time may increase if there is any pending documentation and depends upon case-to-case basis.
- Social Security –New migrants must wait for 2 years before they can receive most social security income support payments
- Health care –Permanent residence holders are immediately entitled to public healthcare through a Government scheme called Medicare
- Schooling –Children aged between 6-18 years are entitled to attend public (government-funded) schools
- Family tax benefit –There are no waiting periods for family tax benefit
- Parenting payment –Generally, to qualify for a parenting payment, a person has to live in Australia as a permanent resident for at least 2 years. Different rules apply for single parents
- Aged Pension –Usually to qualify for an aged pension, a person should have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least 10 years
- Disability Support pension –If a permanent resident becomes unable to work for at least 30 hours per week because of a disability, they are entitled to claim a disability support pension, no matter how long they have been living in Australia
Visa Process Time Lines
Priority Group Number
Visa Sub Class
RSMS (Subclass 119, 857)
Low Risk – 5 months
High Risk- 8 months
Skill Select (subclass 187)
Low Risk- 5 months
High Risk- 8 months
Skill Select (subclass 186)
Skill Select SMP(subclass 190 and 489)
Nominated Occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) – Schedule 1(subclass 175, 495, 496, 861, 862, 863, 880, 881, 882, 883, 885 and 176, 475, 487 if not SMP)
Skill Select Independent and Family Sponsored
(subclass 189 and 489)
All visas listed in priority 3 and 4 that are not SMP or Nominated Occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) – Schedule 1
Assessment will commence when all cases in priority groups 1-4 are finalized
- Documents Checklist
- Complete Application Processing
- Forms, Documentation and Petition Filing
- Business Plan Guidance and Preparation (why business plan in skilled independent visa?)
- Airport Pickup*
- Accommodation Assistance*
- Relocation Orientation
- Relocation Assistance*
* These services are provided at an additional cost.
Y-Axis Immigration Department
- We offer documentation processing, application & filing services for those interested in immigrating.
- Our Immigration Processing Department ranks amongst the best in the world. A strong research team ensures that cases are evaluated and processed as per the latest rules and regulations.
- Our experience at having filed thousands of applications has resulted in a strong & comprehensive case study database.
- Our offices across the Indian Subcontinent and Overseas make us the only consultant in India with a widespread presence, because of which we file the highest number of application from India. We have the highest success rate & over 50% of our business comes from referrals & word of mouth.
- There are five countries that currently have a point based immigration program. Point based immigration is a good option for those who want to work & settle overseas.
- There are a number of categories under which an applicant can file his/her application. You can either apply independently /a relative can sponsor you / an overseas Employer can sponsor you Or the country itself can sponsor you. Applicants whose occupations are in demand usually get bonus points & faster processing. Each country has their specific list of occupations.
Why should you file your migration petition this month?
Why should you not delay?
Rules may change. Everything has a quota!
Immigration rules are volatile and governments are always debating whether to close the door or whom to close the door on. Don’t take the rules for granted. Apply now when you are eligible! You may not be eligible, a few months from now.
You save time
If you postpone your decision, you end up at the same career junction even next year. Take a decision and advance your career right now.
You aren’t growing any younger!
Most countries have an age limit and it gets even more strict as you grow older. You may not be eligible even a year later. And then, as you get older, your ability to adjust to new surroundings also decreases.
Apply now – you may also earn extra points for age!
Your kids adjust faster when they are younger
Your kids adjust better and learn faster when younger. Remember, this opportunity is for them too.
Better in every way
If you are not married, it will improve your profile and get you a better partner.
It is never a bad thing to hold a PR visa that allows you to work & live overseas.
It is never a bad thing to hold an additional UK, Australian, Germany or Canadian Passport.
If you are married and do not have children yet, your kids born inside the country will become Naturalized Citizens automatically.
You may change your mind
You or your spouse may change your mind later and may miss on something good in your life and for your children.
Treat your migration petition as an investment for the future – yours and your children. Apply for it now, watch it mature later. Avail of the benefits all your life.
So, why should you sign up now, because you need to strike while the iron is hot!
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.