Australia General Skilled Migration Program is for all those who want to live and work in Australia. To be able do this, you must submit an expression of interest. Followed by this, you should be invited to apply through the SkillSelect program. You can either be in Australia or outside the country when you apply and receive the visa.
The complete procedure
The selection in the SkillSelect happens twice every month. Once you receive an invitation, you will have 60 days to apply for your visa online. This period does not permit you to differ with the information provided initially on your Expression of Interest [EOI].
In order to file the EOI & to get the invitation the following need to be met:
- Your age must be less than 45
- Your occupation must be on the MLTSSL or STSOL or ROL (Sponsored by region or state)
- Your skill assessment result must be positive
- You should have achieved the score stipulated in your letter of invitation
- You must be competent in English
The applicants have to satisfy the basic requirements to migrate under the skilled Independent visa.
Age: The age of the applicant should be in 18 -45 years range. Minimum points 15 with a maximum of up to 30 can be granted.
English language:- The applicant should prove that he/she meets the minimum English language competence by submitting the test results before the application is lodged. One would need to meet the English Language threshold (IELTS 6 bands in all the components- Competent English). For those holding a valid passport and are citizens of one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America and Republic of Ireland, this test is not required.
To score points on English requirement, an applicant must meet proficient or superior level. Points 10 or 20 can be awarded under Proficient English (IELTS 7 or more bands/ 8 or more bands respectively in all the components), English Language test results are required supporting these claims at the time of application.
Nominated occupation:- An applicant needs to nominate himself or herself for an occupation under the MLTSSL or STSOL or ROL (sponsored by region or state), for which they have matching Skills, Qualifications and relevant Work Experience.
Skill Assessment:- It is mandatory for an applicant to get a positive skill assessment for a nominated occupation before the EOI is lodged.
Points can also be earned on the following eligibility criteria:
Overseas Experience points (Experience outside Australia):- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having three/five/eight years of overseas experience in the nominated occupation in the last 10 years. Minimum points of 5 with a maximum of up to 15 can be granted.
Overseas Qualification points (Qualifications gained outside Australia):- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for recognized qualifications which is at a level of Bachelor’s or higher or PhD. or holding qualifications that are assessed by the assessing body during the skills assessment. Minimum points of 10 with a maximum of up to 20 can be granted, according to the level of qualification AQF Diploma or Bachelors /higher or PhD. or qualifications recognized by the assessing body during the assessment. The relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation can usually determine whether your qualifications are of a standard that is comparable to a relevant Australian qualification.
Australian Experience:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having worked in Australia for one/three/five/eight in one of the occupations in a full-time paid employment. Minimum points of 5 with a maximum of up to 20 can be granted.
Australian Study :- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim additional points for Australian study for a qualification which is a course of at least two Academic years or more. Minimum points of 5 with a maximum of up to 15 can be granted.
Partner Skills :- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points under partner skills, if the partner satisfies the basic requirements of age, English language ability, qualifications and skills assessment result. The partner should obtain positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority and IELTS of 6 in each band. Occupation nominated by the spouse should be from the same list as the one chosen by the primary applicant for his/her visa application
Professional years/ Credential community language:- Professional year programs for at least 12 months done from Australia in the last 4 years and Credential community language qualification points if you have been assessed as a Para professional translator by NAATI will lead to 5 points.
You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
Debts to the Australian Government:
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
You can include the following people in your visa application:
Your partner (married or de facto).
Your or your partner’s dependent children.
These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in your application. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Your family members must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements, regardless of whether they are willing to migrate or not.
Dependent visa applicants, who are above 18 years, are required to meet at least Functional English requirement through study where medium of instruction is in English or by IELTS test scores of 4.5 and above or by paying visa second installment charges towards English requirements.
You can add your partner and dependent children to your application at any time until your visa is decided.
Application Fees for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program:
If the applicant is applying outside Australia:
- Skill Assessment fee – AUD300- AUD2200
- Education Assessment (if applicable) – AUD60 – 300
- Medicals/Registration– case specific.
- Department of Home Affairs (DIBP earlier) Application Fee: AUD3,670
- Dependents below 18 years of age: AUD920
- Dependents above 18 years of age: AUD1,835
- Spouse English Requirement Fee: AUD4,885 (This fee is applicable only if the spouse or the dependent is unable to score 4.5 overall in IELTS and has not completed his/her graduation in English Medium)
Visa Process Time Lines
Priority Group Number
Visa Sub Class
RSMS (Subclass 119, 857)
Low Risk – 5 months
High Risk- 8 months
Skill Select (subclass 187)
Low Risk- 5 months
High Risk- 8 months
Skill Select (subclass 186)
Skill Select SMP(subclass 190 and 489)
Nominated Occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)- Schedule 1(subclass 175, 495, 496, 861, 862, 863, 880, 881, 882, 883, 885 and 176, 475, 487 if not SMP)
Skill Select Independent and Family Sponsored
(subclass 189 and 489)
All visas listed in priority 3 and 4 that are not SMP or Nominated Occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) – Schedule 1
Assessment will commence when all cases in priority groups 1-4 are finalized
Our Full Service & Processing Includes:
- Document checklist.
- Complete Migration Processing & Application Processing.
- Forms, Documentation & Petition Filing.
- Guidance on acquiring the specific Police Clearance Certificate.
- Assistance with Medicals.
- Updates & Follow-up with the Department of Home Affairs.
- Visa Interview Preparation – if required.
- Airport Pickup.*
- Accommodation Assistance.*
- Relocation Orientation.*
- Job Search Assistance.*
*These services are provided at an additional cost.
Benefits of the Program
The GSM program offers the following benefits:
- Social Security:– After 2 years, new migrants can receive most social security income support payments.
- Health care:– Permanent residence holders are entitled to immediate entitlement of public healthcare through a Government scheme called Medicare.
- Schooling:– Children aged between 6-18 years are entitled to attend public (government-funded) schools.
- Family tax benefit:– There are no waiting periods for family tax benefit.
- Parenting payment:– Generally, to qualify for a parenting payment, a person has to live in Australia as a permanent resident for at least 2 years. Different rules apply for single parents.
- Aged Pension:– Usually to qualify for an aged pension, a person must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least 10 years.
- Disability Support pension:– If a permanent resident becomes unable to work for at least 30 hours per week because of a disability, they are entitled to claim a disability support pension no matter how long they have been living in Australia.
Y-Axis Immigration Department
- We offer documentation processing, application & filing services for those interested in immigrating.
- Our Immigration Processing Department ranks amongst the best in the world. A strong research team ensures that cases are evaluated and processed as per the latest rules and regulations.
- Our experience at having filed thousands of applications has resulted in a strong & comprehensive case study database.
- Our offices across the Indian Subcontinent and Overseas make us the only consultant in India with a widespread presence, because of which we file the highest number of application from India. We have the highest success rate & over 50% of our business comes from referrals & word of mouth.
- There are five countries that currently have a point based immigration program. Point based immigration is a good option for those who want to work & settle overseas.
- There are a number of categories under which an applicant can file his/her application. You can either apply independently /a relative can sponsor you / an overseas Employer can sponsor you Or the country itself can sponsor you. Applicants whose occupations are in demand usually get bonus points & faster processing. Each country has their specific list of occupations.
speak to a counsellor
We will connect you to a Y-Axis Consultant ASAP.