To get a PR visa for Australia, one must understand the subclasses under which this visa is issued. The subclasses are primarily divided into 189/190/489. Each subclass has its own significance with relation to Australia PR visa. Subclass 189 is a skilled independent permanent visa, subclass 190 is a skilled nominated permanent visa where as subclass 489 is a skilled regional provisional visa.
Factors of eligibility
These subclasses are selected based on skill, requirement and eligibility of an applicant. For any of the three subclasses, an applicant must qualify a point based test and then submit an expression of interest. One can apply to any of the subclasses only after receiving an invitation. The points in the subclasses are rewarded based on many factors.
What else do you need to know?
These include age, English language competency, overseas employment in nominated skilled occupation, education qualifications at the time of invitation, Australian education and nomination/sponsorship. To keep the applicant at ease the processing is initiated in a period of six months. For instance if an application is submitted in August, the evaluation, qualification assessment documentation and other such things will be done in February.
There are many more things an applicant needs to understand about the General Skilled Migration Program. To understand that, contact us today!
- I Applied For My Australia PR Via YAxisReview By: sudha kolas I Applied for my Australia PR via YAxis,i got a call from yogesh who explained me clearly and i called him many times to clarify my queries and he was very patient and cool enough to… Continue Reading → The post I Applied For My Australia PR Via YAxis appeared first on Y-Axis Customer Reviews. […]
- Y-Axis Providing Excellent Services & Assistance In Filing My PR For AustraliaReview By: Mustafa Chechatwala I thank Y-Axis for providing excellent services and assistance in filing my PR for Australia. My process consultant Ms. Nitya Chebolu has been very polite and co-operating throughout the whole journey and has shown enormous amount… Continue Reading → The post Y-Axis Providing Excellent Services & Assistance In Filing My PR For Australia appeared first on Y-Axis Customer Reviews. […]
- Good Service And Helped Me Iin Getting Through My PRReview By: Srikanth Gunnala Good Service. They helped me in getting through my PR. Special thanks to my process consultant Sri Lakshmi B N V S. Her support is simply superb. [ viagra free trial | cialis usa | who… Continue Reading → The post Good Service And Helped Me Iin Getting Through My PR appeared first on Y-Axis Customer Reviews. […]
What the visa lets you do?
This visa allows you and your family to:
- Stay in Australia for up to four years.
- Live, work and study in a specified regional area of Australia.
- Travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid.
- Provides a pathway to a permanent visa in Australia.
*Not eligible for any benefits on this visa.
Eligibility Requirement:- The threshold points to qualify for this visa are 60 and the applicant requires meeting the points as per the invitation received. Points are awarded on the basis of the factors listed below:
Age:- The age of the applicant should be between 18 -49 years. Minimum points 15 with a maximum up to 30 can be granted.
English language:- The applicant should prove that he/she meets the English language of competent level by submitting the test results before the application is lodged. One would meet the English Language threshold if they score TOEFL iBT scores of 12 in listening, 13 in reading, 21 in Writing, 18 in speaking or PTE Academic scores of 50 in each band or IELTS 6 bands in all the components or if holds a valid passport and is a citizen of one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America and Republic of Ireland.
To score points on English requirement, an applicant must meet proficient or superior level as mentioned in below table. English Language test results are required supporting these claims at the time of application.
English Language proficiency level
Average/total/overall across test components only
Proficient (for points tested Skilled visas)
Superior (for points tested Skilled visas)
Nominated occupation:- The applicant should nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) for subclass 189 and subclass 489(if sponsored by a relative) or on state occupation list that is eligible for a state nomination as per states occupations list.
Skill Assessment:- It is mandatory for an applicant to get a positive skill assessment for a nominated occupation before the EOI is lodged.
Points can also be earned on the following eligibility criteria:
- Overseas Experience points (Experience outside Australia):- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having three/five/eight years of overseas experience in the nominated occupation in the last 10 years. Minimum points 5 with a maximum up to 15 can be granted.
- Overseas Qualification points (Qualifications gained outside Australia):- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for recognized qualifications which is at a level of Bachelors or higher or PhD. or holding qualifications that are assessed by the assessing body during the skills assessment. Minimum points 10 with a maximum up to 20 can be granted, according to the level of qualification AQF Diploma or Bachelors /higher or Ph.D or a qualifications recognized by the assessing body during the assessment. The relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation can usually determine whether your qualifications are of a standard that is comparable to a relevant Australian qualification.
- Australian Experience:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points for having worked in Australia for one/three/five/eight in one of the occupations, in a full-time paid employment. Minimum points 5 with a maximum up to 20 can be granted.
- Australian Study:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim additional points for Australian study for a qualification which is a course of at least two Academic years or more. Minimum points 5 with a maximum up to 15 can be granted.
- Partner Skills:- The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim points under partner skills, if the partner satisfies the basic requirements of age, English language ability, qualifications and skills assessment result. The partner should obtain positive skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority and Competent english. Spouse nominated occupation should be from the same occupations list as per the primary applicant. Partner skills will lead to 5 points.
- Professional years/ Credential community language:- Professional year programs for at least 12 months done from Australia in the last 4 years and Credential community language qualification points if you have been assessed as a Para professional translator by NAATI will lead to 5 points.
- Sponsorship points:- The applicant would require a successful, valid nomination from state regional area or sponsorship from family members living in designated areas of Australia. This sponsorship will lead to 10 points.
Sponsorship by a State/Territory:- Applicant’s nominated occupation should be listed in the respective state SOL and he should meet all the eligibility criteria as set by the state. The client has to commit to live and work in this state for initial 2 years of stay in specified regional areas Australia.
Specified Regional Areas:
- You must have lived in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area for at least two years if you were nominated for this visa by a state or territory government. These areas are listed by postcode and state on the table below.
Regional and low population growth metropolitan areas:
|Regional and low population growth metropolitan areas||Postcodes|
|New South Wales (NSW)Anywhere except Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong||2311 to 2312, 2328 to 2411, 2420 to 2490, 2536 to 2551, 2575 to 2594, 2618 to 2739, 2787 to 2898|
|Northern Territory||Entire territory|
|Queensland Anywhere except the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast||4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272, 4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4515, 4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899|
|South Australia||Entire state|
|Victoria Anywhere except the Melbourne metropolitan area||3211 to 3334, 3340 to 3424, 3430 to 3649, 3658 to 3749, 3753, 3756, 3758, 3762, 3764, 3778 to 3781, 3783, 3797, 3799, 3810 to 3909, 3921 to 3925, 3945 to 3974, 3979, 3981 to 3996|
|Western Australia Anywhere except Perth and surrounding areas||6041 to 6044, 6083 to 6084, 6121 to 6126,6200 to 6799|
Sponsor by a relative:
- The applicant should be sponsored by an eligible sponsor who is either an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen residing (under a special category visa) in Australia.
- Relation: The relation between the sponsor and the applicant can either be a brother, sister, parent, Non-dependent child, Uncle, Aunt, Nephew, Niece, first cousin, relative of the applicant’s spouse, de-facto spouse inter-dependent partner or Half and step-relatives.
- Location: The sponsor should be living in a designated area of Australia before lodging the application and also should prove that he /she will continue to live in the designated area till the decision is made regarding the application.
- Assistance: The sponsor will have to sign a sponsorship undertaking stating that he/she will provide required assistance to meet the applicant’s financial and social obligations for the period of 2 years to make the applicant’s living comfortable in Australia.
Designated areas of Australia:
|State or territory||Designated area|
|Australian Capital Territory (ACT)||Entire territory|
|New South Wales (NSW)(except Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong)||2311 to 2312, 2328 to 2333, 2336 to 2490, 2535 to 2551, 2575 to 2739, 2787 to 2898|
|Northern Territory||Entire territory|
|Queensland(anywhere outside the Brisbane metropolitan area)||4019 to 4028, 4037 to 4050, 4079 to 4100, 4114, 4118, 4124 to 4150, 4158 to 4168, 4180 to 4899|
|South Australia||Entire state|
|Western Australia||Entire state|
You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need, will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your visa application.
You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months including all short visits or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age.
This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, who are above 16 years old, whether they are migrating or not.
Debts to the Australian Government:
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
You can include the following people in your visa application:
- Your partner (married or de facto).
- Yours or your partner’s dependent children.
These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in your application. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Your family members must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements regardless whether they are willing to migrate or not.
Dependent visa applicants, who are above 18 years are required to meet at least Functional English requirement through study where medium of instruction is in English or by proving functional English requirement or by paying visa second installment charges towards English requirements.
You can add your partner and dependent children to your application before the decision is made on visa application. But for 489 visa, you need to add dependants before this visa application is filed.
Application Fees for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program
- Skill Assessment fee – AUD$300-AUD$2200
- State Sponsorship fee- Varies from AUD$200- AUD$800 (if applicable)
- Education Assessment (if applicable) – AUD$60 – AUD$300
- Medicals/Registration– case specific
- DIBP Application Fee: AUD$3600
- Dependent below 18 years: AUD$900
- Dependent above 18 years: AUD$1800
- Dependent English Requirement Fee: AUD$4885 (This fee is applicable only if the spouse or the dependent is unable to score 4.5 overall in IELTS and has not completed his/her graduation in English Medium)
- Provisional visa Extended pathway visa fee: AUD$320;Dependent above 18 years: AUD$160;Dependent below 18 years: AUD$80
Visa Process Time Lines
Priority Group Number
Visa Sub Class
RSMS (Subclass 119, 857)
Low Risk - 5 months
High Risk- 8 months
Skill Select (subclass 187)
Low Risk- 5 months
High Risk- 8 months
Skill Select (subclass 186)
Skill Select SMP(subclass 190 and 489)
Nominated Occupation on the SOL- Schedule 1(subclass 175, 495, 496, 861, 862, 863, 880, 881, 882, 883, 885 and 176, 475, 487 if not SMP)
Skill Select Independent and Family Sponsored
(subclass 189 and 489)
All visas listed in priority 3 and 4 that are not SMP or Nominated Occupation on the SOL – Schedule 1
Assessment will commence when all cases in priority groups 1-4 are finalized
Our Full Service & Processing Includes:
- Document Checklist.
- Complete Migration Processing & Application Processing.
- Forms, Documentation & Petition Filing.
- Guidance on acquiring the specific Police Clearance Certificate.
- Assistance with Medicals.
- Updates & Follow up with the DIBP.
- Visa Interview Preparation – if required.
- Airport Pickup.*
- Accommodation Assistance.*
- Relocation Orientation.*
- Job Search Assistance.*
*These services are provided at an additional cost.
Y-Axis Immigration Department
- We offer documentation processing, application & filing services for those interested in immigrating.
- Our Immigration Processing Department ranks amongst the best in the world. A strong research team ensures that cases are evaluated and processed as per the latest updated rules and regulations.
- Our experience at having filed thousands of applications over the last 16 years has resulted in a strong & comprehensive case study database.
- Our offices across the Indian Subcontinent and Overseas make us the only consultant in India with a widespread presence, because of which we file the highest number of application from India. Y-AXIS also employs and works with regulated & accredited immigration lawyers in our own offices in London & Canada and partner offices in Australia and New Zealand. We have the highest success rate in India & over 50% of our business comes from referrals & word of mouth.
- They are five countries that currently have a point based immigration programme. Point based immigration is a good option for those who want to work & settle overseas.
- There are a number of categories under which an applicant can file his/her application. You can either apply independently /a relative sponsor you / an overseas Employer sponsor you Or the country itself sponsor you. Applicants whose occupations are in demand usually get bonus points & faster processing. Each country has their specific list of occupations.
10 Good Reasons Why Choose Y-Axis
- We are the established Market Leaders in overseas careers with company owned and operated branch in your city. We do not have franchisees. Most of our customers come to us through word of mouth which we built based on trust and quality over the years.
- We are a one stop shop for all your overseas career needs.
- You get the benefit from our deep and extensive knowledge base which we have accumulated from processing thousands of cases similar to yours.
- We have a pulse on global trends in careers and immigration and always have updated information which we share with you through our weekly newsletters and email alerts.
- We have rock solid financial credentials that you would seek in the company when you would be making an investment of a large sum and the outcome is critical to your life and career.
- We are system driven and have transparent processes and costs. All our offices are designed keeping this principle in mind–the reason why you will notice a lot of see through glass.
- We conduct business in good faith and you will notice that our agreements are fair and reasonable.
- We help you search for a job and settle down. Our Job Search Services Department is one of the strengths of our company.
- We have the best consultants in the market who are competent, committed and experienced. You will notice this yourself.
- We are competitively priced and offer flexible payment options and charge on a success fee basis. If we don’t deliver, we refund.
For more details please Contact Us.
Why should you file your migration petition this month?
Why should you not delay?
Rules may change. Everything has a quota!
Immigration rules are volatile and governments are always debating whether to close the door or whom to close the door on. Don't take the rules for granted. Apply now when you are eligible! You may not be eligible, a few months from now.
You save time
If you postpone your decision, you end up in the same career junction even next year. Take a decision and advance your career right now.
You aren’t growing any younger!
Most countries have an age limit and it gets stricter as you grow older. You may not be eligible even a year later. And then as you get older, you ability to adjust to new surroundings also decreases.
Apply now – you may also earn extra points for age!
Your kids adjust faster when they are younger
Your kids adjust better and learn faster when younger. Remember, this opportunity is for them too.
Better in every way
If you are not married, it will improve your profile and get you a better partner.
It is never a bad thing to hold a PR visa that allows you to work & live overseas.
It is never a bad thing to hold an additional UK, Australia, Germany or Canadian Passport.
No kids? Even better
If you are married and do not have children yet, your kids born inside the country will become Naturalized Citizens automatically.
You may change your mind
You or your spouse may change your mind later and may miss on something good in your life and for your children.
Treat your migration petition as an investment for the future – yours and your children. Apply for it now, watch it mature later. Avail of the benefits all your life.
So, why should you sign up now, because you need to strike when the iron is hot!