According to a recent survey of employees in various companies in Singapore by Randstad, 72% of employees wished to work in a job that lets them travel internationally and work abroad.
Randstad, based on the findings of the survey says employees give importance to international work experience because it will help them understand multiple perspectives, acquire new skills from colleagues in other locations and build a network of professional connections around the world.
Based on its survey in Singapore, Randstad came up with these findings:
- 79% of respondents welcome the idea of moving abroad if it will build their career
- 74% are willing to move to another country if there is a significant increment in their salary
- 66% are willing to move if it means they can keep their jobs with their current employer
- 78% of respondents aged between 18 to 34 are happy to relocate to Australia, Japan and the US
According to Randstad, employees need to work in international locations to lead pilot projects or in operations. This gives them opportunities to manage larger teams, interact with colleagues from other countries and gather new experiences.
The employees from Singapore are right because the exposure and experience can be valuable to your career. The opportunity to work abroad can help you gain skills that will make you a cut above your peers in a competitive job market.
- Improves your language skills: Working in international locations gives you exposure to new languages. If you develop your skills in new languages, you will be needed when your company is trying to enter new markets or is planning on expansion to other countries.
- Improves your communication skills: You will improve your communication skills when you interact with people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Gives insight into other cultures: You will get an opportunity to learn about other cultures.
- Gives you a global mindset: International experience will help you gain a global mindset to help you sell a product or service from a different perspective.
- Builds your network of contacts: You get opportunities to build contacts with professionals belonging to other countries.
Financial gains: With an increase in salary you stand to gain financially. Depending on the country or location, you could benefit from lower taxes or social security benefits.
Experience of working abroad:
The opportunity to work abroad develops your adaptability skills, increases chances of promotion, promises financial gains, and promotes personal development.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like…