Video Game Designer
Video game designers envision, plan, and create multi-player games for the interactive entertainment industry. Communicate with engineers, programmers, and a team of artists to develop game features that retain players for a long period of time. They strive to extend the gaming experience by implementing score tracking methods and other ways to enhance competition among players.
- Conceptualize and implement game mechanics, animation, characters, narrative, assets, AI behaviours, text, and sound.
- Assist in design of user interface screens, support screens, and game levels.
- Drive game design through conceptualization, presentation, implementation, tuning, and release.
- A Bachelor’s degree in game design or a related field is preferable. However, video game designers with a proven portfolio of successful design work with high-quality products may be considered for some companies.
- Must have a strong understanding of statistics and mathematical skills to analyse data and player feedback.
- Effective written and verbal skills are necessary to illustrate game mechanics, features, diagrams, and prototypes in documentation.