Mining Engineer


Mining Engineers plan, design, organize and supervise the development of mines, mine facilities, systems and equipment; and prepare and supervise the extraction of metallic or non-metallic minerals and ores from underground or surface mines. Mining engineers are employed by mining companies, consulting engineering companies, manufacturers, government and in educational and research institutions.


Mining engineers perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Conduct preliminary surveys and studies of ore, mineral or coal deposits to assess the economic and environmental feasibility of potential mining operations.
  • Determine the appropriate means of safety and efficiently mining deposits.
  • Determine and advise on appropriate drilling and blasting methods for mining, construction or demolition.
  • Design shafts, ventilation systems, mine services, haulage systems and supporting structures.
  • Design, develop and implement computer applications such as for mine design, mine modelling, mapping or for monitoring mine conditions.
  • Plan and design or select mining equipment and machinery and mineral treatment machinery and equipment in collaboration with other engineering specialists.
  • Plan, organize and supervise the development of mines and mine structures and the operation and maintenance of mines.
  • Prepare operations and project estimates, schedules and reports.
  • Implement and co-ordinate mine safety programs.
  • Supervise and co-ordinate the work of technicians, technologists, survey personnel, and other engineers and scientists.

Job Titles:

  • Mine design engineer
  • Mine development engineer
  • Mine layout engineer
  • Mine production engineer
  • Mine safety engineer
  • Mine ventilation engineer
  • Mineral engineer
  • Mining engineer

Eligibility Criteria:

  • A bachelor’s degree in mining engineering or in a related engineering discipline is required.
  • A master’s degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
  • Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, and after three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
  • Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.


Most opportunities are in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta.