As per the recently made available British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2019 Edition, the province is forecast to have 861,000 job openings between the years of 2019 and 2029. Around 77% of the job openings in British Columbia will have a requirement of some kind of post-secondary education or training.
British Columbia is the westernmost among the 10 provinces that together make up the country of Canada. Bounded towards the north by Northwest Territories and Yukon, to the south of BC lie the US states of Washington, Idaho and Montana.
Alberta to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the western side make up the other 2 neighbors of the province.
In the second half of the 20th century, British Columbia emerged among the leading Canadian provinces in terms of economic growth and population. The main cities of the province include the provincial capital Victoria and the city of Vancouver.
British Columbia’s Labour Market Outlook report provides the most up-to-date information on the kinds of skills and jobs expected to be in demand in the province between the present and 2029.
According to the report, “Outlook helps young people plan their careers. It also helps more mature workers looking to change jobs or careers. It is a useful resource for educators as they develop courses; will help lead to jobs for learners, and supports employers and government in the development of training strategies and investment plans.”
Of the 861,000 job openings projected across the period until 2029, while 69% will be owing to the need for replacing workers leaving the labour force, 31% will be attributed to economic growth.
As per the Outlook, “filling these future job openings will involve multiple sources of labour supply”. The Report projects that of the 861,000 supply additions, while 56% job openings will be filled by young people entering the workforce, 31% will be filled up by new immigrants.
High Opportunity Occupations
The key highlights of the Report include a list of High Opportunity Occupations that highlights occupations in British Columbia offering the best opportunities for people to prosper.
The High Opportunity Occupations list has been arrived at through the addition of an assessment of occupational wage information to the previous year’s methodology of a High Demand Occupations List.
Regional High Opportunity Occupations
Included for the first time, a customized High Opportunity Occupations List offers guidance for career choices for individuals looking at specifically staying in or moving to any of the 7 economic development regions in British Columbia.
Year Over Year Outlook
Across the forecast period, the number of annual job openings are expected to increase from 84,000 in 2020 to 87,000 in 2029. The peak demand – of 89,000 job openings – is expected to be in 2028.
Job openings in BC: 2019-2029
Job openings by education BC: 2019 to 2029
Of the 861,000 job openings expected in British Columbia from 2019 to 2029, majority will require a diploma or other training.
|Qualification needed||Job openings||%age of total job openings|
|Diploma, certificate or apprenticeship training||353,500||41%|
|Bachelor’s, graduate or professional degree||307,600||36%|
|High School and/or occupation-specific training||171,200||20%|
|Less than High School||28,900||3%|
In the period 2019 to 2019, around half of the total projected job openings will be in 5 industries.
|Industry||Job openings||%age of total job openings|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||141,700||16.5%|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical||98,800||11.5%|
|Accommodation and Food Services||63,200||7.3%|
|Occupation||Job openings||%age of total job openings|
|Sales and Service||175,500||20.4%|
|Business, Finance and Administration||137,300||15.9%|
|Trades, Transport and Equipment Operators and Related||106,000||12.3%|
|Education, Law and Social, Community and Government Services||100,600||11.7%|
People in the province of British Columbia earn competitive wages. The exact income that one can expect to earn in British Columbia will be in keeping with their education, occupation, as well as work experience.
As on June 2020, the minimum wage in BC was increased to $14.60 an hour.
With a high standard of living, excellent health care system, and the availability of a diverse range of occupations across various industries, British Columbia is indeed among the most appealing places to settle in Canada.
With the British Columbia Labour Market Outlook: 2019 Edition, planning around the right options for migrate overseas to BC in Canada just got much simpler.
If you are looking to Work, Study, Invest, Visit, or Migrate to Canada, talk to Y-Axis, the World’s No. 1 Immigration & Visa Company.
If you found this blog engaging, you may also like it…
Provincial nomination continues to be the route for Canada PR in 2020